Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tlbean2004

What is the most you have paid for a Hoya?

tlbean2004
9 years ago

What is the most you paid for a single plant and what is your cap!?

Comments (6)

• aurorawa
    9 years ago

$65 for a 5 foot lauterbachii cutting (which is probably considered a steal). Cap varies. Won't spend more than $20 for a large common PLANT. Won't spend more than $20-$30 for a large cutting of uncommon or rare hoyas. And won't spend more than $40 for a rare cutting. For large, well established plants of uncommon or rare type hoyas, I don't have a cap, if it's from a well-known nursery, collector, or owner. If it is from ebay and labeled as rare, I always ask for photos of the plant, compare the photos the owner took of the plant to reputable photos (from reputable owners/nurseries/researchers/collectors), as well as doing a google image search to make sure they didn't use other folks' photos. If all looks legitimate, and the price is fair, I will bid or buy, but my bidding cap is always $60.00.

• Denise
    9 years ago

I find it hard to bring myself to spend a lot on one plant. I've probably bidded $30 or so on a plant, but I don't think I've ever won one that went that high. I'm going to guess maybe $20 or so. I won't even consider buying the cuttings that are over $20 - I figure I'm willing to wait until they become more common and affordable.

I do have one Hoya I call my "$200 Hoya." It's the only one that survived a post office debacle that was an order from Thailand. It's an experience I won't try again!

Denise in Omaha

• greentoe357
    9 years ago

$12 each at most, for several cuttings, as part of a larger order - but in reality it was less because the seller threw in several free cuttings, and free shipping. I have not done the Thailand thing yet, and honestly, I am not particularly eager. There are so many interesting species and cultivars available in the US!

• greedygh0st
    9 years ago

According to my database it's $40 for EPC-229. I don't really have a cap. I'd happily pay more for the right plant. But, I'm sure I'd blush if you asked the largest amount we'd spent on Hoyas in a year.

I don't really get feverish about having to acquire any particular Hoya, though. Every year collectors find jaw-dropping new specimens, and there are just so many Hoyas that are worth growing.

Although I do really love that EPC 229. That was money well-spent. I wish I could do so well on all my acquisitions.

• CrazyPlantLady1
    9 years ago

65+shipping for a gorgeous 5 foot long 8" pot full of Hoya compacta Mauna Loa.....and she is still worth every penny! :)

Sponsored
My Kitchen And Bath
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars48 Reviews
Virginia-Based, Leading Kitchen and Bath Remodeler Since 1994