Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
clarissa_mae_gw

How old is my hoya curtisii?

clarissa_mae
13 years ago

1) How old is my hoya? I purchased it last weekend.

2) Some of my plants have leaves like these: If you can't see it, they are lighter green than the rest of the plant and blend in with the silver spots, and a dark purple-ish ridge running down the center. They are withered and wrinkly.

{{gwi:994961}}

And the backs are turned in:

Thanks,

Clarissa

Comments (7)

• mdahms1979
    13 years ago

Generally Hoyas that are propagated at nurseries and sold in pots this size are a bunch of rooted cuttings vs a mature established plant. I find this species to be slow growing and I only have a small plant that I started from a single cutting. In time the cuttings will branch and form a thick hanging plant.
    Try to let this one dry a little before you water it again, being constantly wet will cause the leaves to drop. Having said that too dry of conditions will do the same thing but with a pot that big I would be more worried about rotting the roots.

Mike

• clarissa_mae
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks! I will check out the roots.. is there any certain way I should do this? Also, should I s eperate them or leave them together... I thought(!) I had done my research...

• mdahms1979
    13 years ago

No need to check the roots or split up the plant, just be aware that the yellowing leaves can be due to too much moisture. Often big pots full of cuttings hold too much moisture because there is not enough root mass to take in all the water. Feel free to keep us updated on your plant and we will be able to help you if there are any problems. I think your plant looks nice and healthy so you are off to a good start.

Mike

• cpawl
    13 years ago

Hi
    I find that the big box stores over water their plants.EA plants stay wet for a long time.When I buy EA plants the first thing I do when I get home is wick the moisture out.Take some paper towel or new paper and shove it into the bottom of the pot.

I keep changing the paper until I see no more than a inch of the top bit of the paper is wet.I also never put the bottom saucer back on.This helps it dry a bit faster.

• clarissa_mae
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Okay, thanks! I'll try to help it lose the water (if I have time! Otherwise it will be on my weekend list...) I'm anxiously waiting for the reappearance of the sun and hope my hoya and orchid will stay happy.
    Clarissa

• clarissa_mae
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I took off the saucer bottom:

and that is what I found...the dark things that look like wormies are roots. I was to afraid I might damage something if I used the paper towel method, so right now the saucer is back on. The plant is over carpet, so it needs (my carpet) protection from water and dirt...

• cpawl
    13 years ago

Hi
    I would not worry to much about those roots.If you want shove them back up into the pot.I use a chop stick, wrap the paper onto the tip and push it up a bit.It dose not need to go very fare up.Just enough so it dose not fall out.It will then wick the extra water out.

Cindy

Sponsored