Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
crazyplantlady1

Hoya sulawesii?

CrazyPlantLady1
9 years ago

This was sold to me as a Hoya nummalarioides, but after seeing the blooms it is apparently incorrect. I'm not complaining. It is a very nice plant, but I only bought it for the fragrance. There is absolutely no fragrance at any time of the day or night. The pic is of the blooms from late this summer. It is a frequent and easy bloomer. The leaves look almost like a Dischidia nummalarioides; almost round, dull medium green, edges curl under slightly.

I know trying to figure out a Hoya's ID can be risky, but any suggestions would be appreciated. Because after many hours reading and referencing pics online, I'm still pretty sure I don't know what it is....LOL. I have heard Sulawesi, bilobata and silta-blah-blah-blah....=)

Anyone interested in this 4 foot long beauty, please contact me for trade. As I said, I only bought it for the fragrance, but it has none. I am looking for red or pink Hoya imperialis cuttings or plants. It is a 6" hanging pot full of well established 4 foot long plants and a proven bloomer. She's very healthy, too!
Thanks, Kathy

Comments (20)

• greentoe357
    9 years ago

Hmm... Show us the leaves, front and back.

• PRO
    Jan Sword-Rossman Realty 239-470-6061
    9 years ago

It could be Hoya sipitangensis, I end up killing this one for some teason. I might be interested in trading this with H. imperialis red. Please message me.

• greedygh0st
    9 years ago

Sorry about the disappointment, Kathy. For future reference, the nummularioides would be easily distinguishable from this group of Hoyas, as its leaves are thicker and fuzzy, and it vines are thick, readily branching, and almost stalky.

Don't give up on acquiring one, as it's very cute and does have a nice fragrance. :)

• CrazyPlantLady1
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Front of leaves...

• CrazyPlantLady1
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Underside of leaves....

I did find a nice H numm at Calloways. But, it has yet to bloom.
    :)

• aurorawa
    9 years ago

It may have already bloomed. Numm blooms and then drops its peduncles. It doesn't hold them, like most other hoyas. New peduncles will form when it is time to bloom again. The hoya you have bears a strong resemblance to my h. sipitangensis. Not 100% sure on ID, though.

• aurorawa
    9 years ago

By the way, sipitangensis' leaves will turn a gorgeous red hue when subjected to bright light. It really makes those flowers pop!

• CrazyPlantLady1
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I hadn't tried full sun, but last summer outside under dappled shade with direct very early morning sun, I had no color change. Now, it's in a sunroom, but no direct sun. It looks the same either way. When I posted this, I couldn't remember the name sipitangensis, but that does sound familiar.
    Thanks!

• greedygh0st
    9 years ago

I'm glad to hear you got your numm. :)

It's not sipitangensis. Although the flowers are alike, H. sipitangensis has leaves that are flat, not cupped, and closer to those of lacunosa.

There are a number of Hoyas with similar leaves and flowers, but odds are it's a brevialata, definitely so if you got it at a BBS.

• CrazyPlantLady1
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I think you may be right. I bought her from an individual online. When I compare pics of both sipitangensis and brevialata against each other, I can really see the difference. Mine definitely has no veining on the leaves. Anyone out there that would be interested in trading this plant for some Imperialis red or pink, please feel free to contact me. I really don't have a place to hang her in my sunroom.

• greentoe357
    9 years ago

CPL, you might have missed Jan's post above - she'll trade you.

Leaves are wrong for sipitangensis, I agree. But flowers are wrong for brevialata (or incurvula, which has similar leaves.)

Flowers look like rotundiflora, but of course not with those leaves.

Silly question, but I have to ask: are you positive the flowers and the leaves belong to the same plant? (Just checking.)

I am going to ask for ID in the facebook "Hoya Identification" group: https://www.facebook.com/groups/479346905531672/permalink/569695216496840/. I'll tell you what people there say, in case somebody is not on facebook or not a member of that group or is lazy to click.

This post was edited by greentoe357 on Wed, Nov 26, 14 at 7:25

• PRO
    Jan Sword-Rossman Realty 239-470-6061
    9 years ago

It's Hoya brevialata by looking at the leaves. No, Sorry I don't want to trade for Hoya brevialata

• greentoe357
    9 years ago

CPL / Kathy, did you take all three pics in this thread yourself or did the seller give them to you?

Jan found this page: http://www.pflanzenkindergarten.de/product_info.php?cPath=&products_id=9322 and mentioned it in the facebook thread. As you can see, your flower photo is from there, and it's of Hoya sipitangensis. The leaves do look like breavialata (or incurvula but less likely).

Looks like you were sold a H. brevialata with photos of H. sipitangensis blooms, stolen from elsewhere, all under the name of H. nummularioides. If this is right, then it's a triply-misleading kind of fraud! If I were you, I'd insist on getting my money back, including shipping, no matter how much time has passed.

• CrazyPlantLady1
    Original Author
    9 years ago

The first bloom pic was from the selller, sent to me after purchase. This pic is one I took of the blooms after it arrived. I doubt she was trying to dupe me, but I don't think she really knew what she had. It was not an expensive plant either. Besides, it's been kind if fun learning about it. I became addicted to hoyas a few years back. I have recieved and traded many hoyas ever since and I always learn something new. I just want to find this pretty plant a good home and try to give accurate info to her next home.
    Thanks for digging around to find that jnfo!

• aurorawa
    9 years ago

Makes sense now. I was going by the first pic, which looks exactly like my sipitangensis. The closest I get to the second and third photos is either H. brevialata, or H. pallilimba.

• greedygh0st
    9 years ago

That's a healthy attitude to have, IMO. We aren't going to change such vendors, so all we can do is do is spread clarity and learning through our own actions.

Many small time vendors don't know as much about the plants they are selling as they should and are not at all interested in identification. Every time I've attempted to correct one, they've put a bastardized version of my correct name after whatever name they were using before, which drives me up the wall. @_@

• CrazyPlantLady1
    Original Author
    9 years ago

LOL....hoya ID is always an adventure. I really appreciate all your help and input. I looked up H. pallilimba, which also led to H. myrmecopa. I have never heard or seen either of these, but they are similar in many ways to my plant, although I doubt I have acquired such a rare plant. I know I will never live long enough to learn everything about these plants, which makes them so addicting to me. I have about 30 different hoyas, some unusual and rare, some are common, but nonetheless still beautiful. Some of my treasures are several varieties of Macgillivrayii, Maxima (red), my big gorgeous Mauna Loa and several different mindorensis. If anyone is interested in trading for this plant, please contact me.

• aurorawa
    9 years ago

If you scroll all the way down to the bottom of the page, you can click on "Member Pages", then click "Edit your Exchange Lists". That way, you can list all the available hoyas you have, and all the hoyas you are looking for.
    Also, if you click on my user name on this post (or any other person's user name on their posts), you can see what we have available for trade, if we have a list up.

• CrazyPlantLady1
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks for the tip, AuroraWA. I need to do that, prob after the holiday. I just found this site and was so impressed with the amount of kindness and experience I saw here and without a lot of the pretentiousness of some Hoya forums. Don't get me wrong, I have great respect for intelligence, but even more for kindness. Anyway, after liking what I saw, I signed up thinking that maybe I could learn a lot from you nice folks. I'll get to work on my lists shortly.

• aurorawa
    9 years ago

You are very welcome!

Sponsored
Ed Ball Landscape Architecture
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars30 Reviews
Exquisite Landscape Architecture & Design - “Best of Houzz" Winner