Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
laura_carnosa

Long-time Lurking Laura

Laura_Carnosa
12 years ago

Hi there!

I'm a long-time lurker here, and hard-core heavy into Hoya.

I have about 50 kinds and counting.

Hoping my existing friends here will recognize me *wink-wink*. And new friends will welcome me.

Been trying to get on here for a while & had technical difficulties. But it doesn't matter, as I'm here now. YAY!

I'm a Canadian girl, born & raised on the prairies. Been growing Hoya for almost five years, but when my KQ began to bloom two years ago, it was all over for me. I only wanted Hoya, and as many types as I could find. Little did I know how hard it would be....

I only discovered how to obtain other species this past year, but it didn't take me long to amass 50 seperate species! I really like little ones, with neat leaves. But don't ask me to pick a favorite, 'cause I don't think I can!

Looking forward to chatting with you all,

Yours,

LC

Comments (15)

• golden_ca_2000
    12 years ago

Hey Laura! Wink wink* Welcome!

• moonwolf_gw
    12 years ago

Hi Laura,

Welcome to the magical, beautiful world of hoyas! I have quite a few myself but few have bloomed for me. They will in time. I bought a KQ a few months ago at Lowe's and it has two peduncles on it. I hope it blooms for me in the spring. It's one of my favorite hoyas too. You're right! It's hard to choose a favorite! I love them all because they're unique in their own way. Anyways, welcome to the forum and I hope your hoyas grow happily for you!

Brad AKA Moonwolf

• mdahms1979
    12 years ago

Welcome to the forum Laura. So are you in Alberta or Northern British Columbia? Climate zone 3b is cold, I'm shivering just thinking about it. LOL

Mike from relatively warm Southern Ontario.

• Laura_Carnosa
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Hiya Goldie *wink*

Brad- Been watching your Hoya collection grow for many months now.
    You're my inspiration for naming my EA curtisii "Pebbles" & my EA lacunosa "Shaggy".

Mike,
    Southern Manitoba, a little south of Winnipeg, the capital.
    But make no mistake, we see temps of-35c and I just double-checked for sure 3B.
    But I've lived here all my life.
    I'm jealous of your relatively warm temps.

• greedygh0st
    12 years ago

Hi Laura and welcome! I'm so excited you decided to shrug off your lurker status! I was getting all ready to gush about how I've never met a Canadian I didn't like, but then I decided you don't really count because Hoya people of all nations are generally just a ridiculously nice bunch.

I hear you on no Hoya favorite, but don't you feel like sometimes you have a favorite of the day? Like you just want to look at that plant and go: Way to go! You are looking super hot today!

• Laura_Carnosa
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Hi GG.

Also have read your posts for many many months & always smile. Have missed you this last little while. Glad to see you again. I also found your wordpress page about the same time as MD. Quite enjoyed it, and love your animal names (Closet Trek fan!)

I think whatever's blooming is my fave of the day/ week.
    I always gush to lacunosa, as it's always blooming, or budding up. I ~LOVE~ it's fragrance and fuzziness.
    Same with my multiflora/shooting star/ otherthingy-stema always blooming or working on it!

My original KQ is such a good bloomer in the spring and summer, with 7 peduncles & counting... will always have a place in my heart.

This week I think bella is my fave b/c it's blooming for the very first time, after blasting repeatedly! Grrr!

Last week I think it was "Black Dragon" because it just put out it's first real vine.

Gosh I love Hoya! *GUSH*

• moonwolf_gw
    12 years ago

Laura, lol well glad I could help inspire you in some way :). You mean Pebbles as in Pebbles Flinstone and Shaggy from Scooby Doo? Very good choices, I may add, being a fan of classic cartoons myself.

I'm guilty of changing favorites constantly too. Right now, fungii's (Tootsie) trying to grab my attention by growing a new vine with a peduncle. Lacunosa Ruby Sue is also showing new growth :). Black Dragon is a favorite of mine as well. I'm still hunting White Dragon. Oh well, there's always next year!

Brad AKA Moonwolf

• Laura_Carnosa
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Exactly, Brad. ;-)

• mairzy_dotes
    12 years ago

Next year is "almost" HERE!! YEAH!! LOL ;-)

• moonwolf_gw
    12 years ago

Ah okay I thought so! I'm gonna have to reread some old posts of mine and see which nicknames I gave to my plants LOL. I know GG enjoyed it when I nicknamed my KQ and KP hanging basket Magenta (KQ) and Columbia (KP). It got mealies and I tried to save the cuttings but the mealies got to them too. My new big KQ is still named Magenta :-). RHP is Edea and nummularoides is Rose. I think Black Dragon I named Fenrir.

Brad AKA Moonwolf

• greedygh0st
    12 years ago

/Laura.

Thanks for the kind words. ^_^

I have to say my current stars are megalantha and greenii. Shame and stress made me keep mostly mum about it on here, but megalantha and I have been going through a bit of a difficult streak. She was always such an easy plant for me, but for some reason, starting last spring, she just started to decline... and decline... and decline. She was always losing leaves and she wasn't putting out any new growth. Which was weird, because usually she acts a lot like paziae - weedlike! It was just one of those situations where you look at every possible explanation and remain completely in the dark. So I was down to the last few leaves and I moved her to a different aquarium... as a last ditch effort. And kind of forgot about her because she was so dang depressing. And next thing I knew she had shot out all these new vines thickly populated with new leaves. So idk wtf I did to piss her off but she's happy now so yay!

As for greenii, I got this one from Joni and I was super nervous about taking it on because I'd heard it was a rather challenging Hoya. I asked her advice on whether I should go for it or not and she was pretty noncommital. Sometimes you just can't tell someone else whether something is going to be fun for them or not, right? But I got it and I couldn't believe how pretty it is. Very unique! And wouldn't you know it just took off right away. Usually, for me, cuttings take off pretty quick and rooted plants need a period of a few months where they do nothing and just adjust, but not so greenii. Off it went right away! And I haven't found it troublesome at all. Of course it's in the same magical aquarium that "cured" megalantha. Idk what the deal is with that aquarium but it outperforms my other two every time.

Wow, I just talked a lot.

/Brad.

You named Black Dragon Fenrir? That's my favorite name so far. Were you naming it after the original norse mythology? I have to admit it makes me think of Final Fantasy lol. ^_^'

• moonwolf_gw
    12 years ago

GG, funny you should mention Final Fantasy, because that's where I got it from! He is an Esper in FF6 (or 3, depending on which version you played-PS or SNES) that is...what else....a wolf! If I got White Dragon, I would name it after someone or something out of Final Fantasy . Fenrir isn't my only Final Fantasy hoya. My Royal Hawaiian Purple is named Edea (from Final Fantasy 8).

Brad AKA Moonwolf

• greedygh0st
    12 years ago

Cool. ^_^ Bahamut maybe?

• moonwolf_gw
    12 years ago

Bahamut would be perfect!!!! He is the King of Dragons after all lol. Thank you, GG!

Brad AKA Moonwolf

• Laura_Carnosa
    Original Author
    12 years ago

GG: idk + wtf= lol w/a snort