Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
karyn1_gw

Rooting very thin stems?

karyn1
13 years ago

I want to move my H. macgillivray but will have to cut it away from some other plants that it's become in twined with. I'll have to cut the last 5-10 inches of stems and they are very soft & thin. Is it worth trying to root these or should I just toss them? I occasionally root hoya cuttings but take thicker firm growth. I know when I trim back my passies it's not worth trying to root some of the very soft new growth. Space over the winter is at a premium and I don't want to waste it if there's little chance of success.

Comments (5)

• ladygreensleeves
    13 years ago

I would first try untwining them before cutting, but if they had to be cut away and if they are the soft growth tips then most likey you will not have any luck rooting them. If they don't have a node or two with leaves I don't bother trying to root a cutting. A cutting needs at least one leaf to get it energy and develope it plant structure to grow.

• karyn1
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I unwound what I could and trimmed the rest. The cuttings had at least 2 nodes but the leaves were immature and the stems were very thin so I trashed them. The diameter was probably less then a piece of thin spagetti. I'm not sure why the ends of so many stems are so thin unless that's the nature of that variety or maybe it wasn't getting enough light? Except for the those thin stem ends the rest of the plant looks fine. Now if it would just bloom : )

• ladygreensleeves
    13 years ago

Sounds like the tips of growth points then. With tiny immature leaves they most likey would not have rooted, so you propably did the right thing.
    Do you by chance know what hoya's you have? How mature are they? Some of us here might be able to tell you when to expect blooms.

• ladygreensleeves
    13 years ago

H. macgillivray needs to grow dry in the winter, very dry. And then in the spring start giving it more water and feed it when it starts putting out new growth. Then increase it's water and feed as summer approaches. But don't overdo the water to the point of causesing root rot either. When you notice peduncles it will need more water....but don't touch or move the plant or it will blast the buds!

• karyn1
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I don't have many hoyas, maybe 15. The only one that's not doing a whole lot of anything is my H. macrophylla variegata. I love the foliage but it hasn't grown much in the past year. A few are new and others I've had for years but never paid much attention to them. They were always kind of neglected in the back of the greenhouse but seem to do well.

I didn't realize how many gorgeous varieties there are until I visited Gardino's and started looking them up online. Unfortunately with everything else I don't have a lot of space for hoyas. If greenhouse space wasn't an issue I could go nuts. lol This is the 2nd year for the macgillivray and it's only within the past 6 mo that it's put on a significant amount of growth. I'd think that it would bloom within the next year. Thanks for the info. I'm sure I'll have more ?'s. I read the threads here often but post infrequently.

Sponsored
Landscape Management Group
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars28 Reviews
High Quality Landscaping Services in Columbus