Return to the Hoya Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Mealybugs on shooting star hoya

Posted by phal_pal ohio (My Page) on
Thu, Dec 5, 13 at 7:48

AACK! Its happened. Mealybugs on my hoya shooting star/multiflora. I only found two which I q-tipped off with dawn dishwashing liquid but now I am paranoid for the rest of my plants. They are all grouped together in a south facing window. 40+ orchids, hoya, geranium, vining plants, pachira tree etc...

I'm thinking if it is on the hoya surely it is elsewhere. My question is...is bayer advanced tree and shrub safe to use on hoya's?

I am pulling out the big guns because I do not want this to spread. Thank you for your help.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Mealybugs on shooting star hoya

Sorry to hear you've found mealy bugs.

First & foremost I'd suggest you isolate the affected plants, like into ANOTHER ROOM, as mealy can be very contagious, very fast for Hoyas. Isolation is ALWAYS the first step pls.

Also, don't know why swab w/ dish soap on Q-tips, what I always see suggested (& always do myself) is swab off w/ alcohol & then don't rinse it off. Re-apply same way in anther 3 days or so if you see more.

Sorry, but have I no experience w/ Bayer, so can't answer your questions.

o

This may be too late, but yes the liquid Bayer Advanced is safe to use on Hoyas. Back when I used it, I had Hoyas in S/H, never saw any detrimental effects on the plants. Even had a multiflora in S/H at the time (still do have that, the S/H container is now a gallon milk jug)

I no longer use it due to other side effects, but I would say be careful to follow the dilution instructions, safety instructions and if your plants are inside, I would probably dump out any excess liquid after a day or two. Just in case it gets knocked over. Mine were always outside, so I didn't worry.

Also don't dump excess down the sink - not good.

Renee

o

Thanks. I have treated my hoya and six other plants around it. I will observe the rest of them and see if anything comes up.

I definitely will NOT put any poison down the sink. Thanks for your help.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hoya Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here