Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cara_gw

Hoya" preatorii& "lasiantha.

cara
9 years ago

Hello hoya lovers,

I need some help on my recent purchase of this two hoyas.

Comments (23)

• cara
    Original Author
    9 years ago

This one is Hoya" preatorii.

• aurorawa
    9 years ago

What kind of help? Advice? Care instructions? If they look okay?
    I wouldn't be the best to answer, as I don't grow either of them (both are on my wish list, though). But from what I know, they both like to stay lightly moist and do best in semi-hydro (S/H) and thrive in warmth and humidity. They are also, apparently, difficult to keep going and may need to be restarted via cuttings every 12 months or so. Each time they are watered, they should be fertilized with a dilute (1/4-1/2 strength, depending on time of year) water-soluble or liquid fertilizer. As for how they look, to me, they look okay, but since I don't grow these two, I am unsure of what to look for. Hope I have helped in some way! :)

• cara
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks, Aurora. Yes, i was referring to black spot on the nodes both of the plants. The preatorii is un-rooted cutting and lasiantha is rooted.

This two tiny are quite expensive. Don't want to lose it.

• greedygh0st
    9 years ago

Don't worry about the black spot. It's just normal coloration. They look perfectly healthy.

These are expensive plants, but they are very easy to grow, so don't worry. I grew my first one perfectly well for several years in regular Hoya medium and no extra humidity and it bloomed its head off. It was in a north window, too. But I have had the same experience as Doug, that the plant needs to be periodically restarted. The plant will suddenly start getting yellow leaves. It's best to act decisively and reroot it while you have lots of plant to work with, because it can be harder to root, like any thin-leafed Hoya. In between those tumultuous times, though, it's as sturdy as a multiflora.

• cara
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you, Greedyghost, for assuring me that there is nothing to worry about those black spot.

I appreciate it very much to all the response i got it here.

• puglvr1
    9 years ago

Congrats on your purchase of Praetorii and Lasiantha...GG gave you some great advise, I too have those black spots on some of my hoyas.

I wanted to show you what to look forward to...

I have 3 buds on my Praetorii :o)

Fingers crossed they all make it and open!

• PRO
    Jan Sword-Rossman Realty 239-470-6061
    9 years ago

Cara, I've killed both mine years ago so I am not much of help but yours looks nice & healthy!
    Puglver1, Wow! Looking forward to seeing those flowers!

• cara
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you both.

puglver1, please post pictures when those open.

• puglvr1
    9 years ago

Thanks Jan and Cara!

Will do...I just hope they don't blast!! Fingers crossed :o)

This plant has bloomed for me 3 different times so far...but only one at a time. This is the most buds I've seen since I've had it...

• greedygh0st
    9 years ago

Good luck, pug! You can do it! I've seen 3 at a time on my plant, but never pulled it off.

• puglvr1
    9 years ago

Thanks GG!! I'm going to need all the luck I get :o)

• puglvr1
    9 years ago

thanks for looking...

• vermonthoyas
    9 years ago

Beautiful photos of an incredibly healthy looking Hoya praetorii Pug! I love the photo against the deep blue sky! Really nice job growing.

Doug

• aurorawa
    9 years ago

SOOOOO jealous! They are adorable. I am going to order cf. praetorii from Jack this spring. They look like little baby chicks!

• greedygh0st
    9 years ago

Wow, looking good! You are a rockstar, pug! Well, technically, you are just the rockstar's manager. ;)

I agree it's a particularly good picture, too. I have a blue sky like that outside, too, but it's only 9 degrees, so... ì_ì

• cara
    Original Author
    9 years ago

All i can say is "yummy" to those beautiful flowers. Now, how long hoya preatorii root? So far is just sitting there not doing anything. After seeing you all's flowers i am anxious for mine to start showing sign of roots.

Thank you for sharing your blooms.

• puglvr1
    9 years ago

Thanks all for all the kind words...really appreciate it :o)

Took this one today...

• puglvr1
    9 years ago

All 3 are open at the same time!!

• vermonthoyas
    9 years ago

Spectacular!

• puglvr1
    9 years ago

Thanks Doug!!! Love this hoya :o)

• PRO
  • puglvr1