Return to the Hoya Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
ID please

Posted by karyn1 MD 7 (bhkalen@aol.com) on
Sat, Dec 12, 09 at 8:52

Hi. This is one of the hoyas I found in the greenhouse but it doesn't have a label. Can it be ID'd from just the foliage? The leaves are fairly large and covered with tiny hairs. Sorry the 2nd pic is kind of out of focus. The white stuff on the foliage is bits of perlite, not mealy bugs. It had been laying on the floor of the greenhouse and was covered in dirt. I was also wondering if the foliage looked chlorotic or if that was normal? TIA

Photobucket
Photobucket

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: ID please

It looks like one I got a long time ago as globulosa, though I was told it was not globulosa and have since gotten a globulosa. The difference between the two is globulosa has smaller leaves and the leaves are smooth. I still haven't been able to find out what mine is, either, so I hope you get a good ID on it. It's one that has done so-so for me. Seems like it goes along doing fine, not really growing much at all, but not declining. Then it will go through a period of losing leaves. I think it's very sesitive to change.

I'll be watching...

Denise in Omaha

o

I agree with Denise. Looks like my Globulosa.

Jan

o

If I remember correctly this one has cream colored blooms. It seems pretty hardy. Watch, now that I've picked it up off the greenhouse floor and am paying attention it will die. lol

o

My vote is on Hoya globulosa as well. There is also Hoya vilosa but it tends to have leaf margins that are without the waves and larger leaves than Hoya globulosa.

Mike

o

Hi Karyn, I have H.villosa if you want to try and compare the leaves to yours. Mine has never flowered so I can't help you there. The leaves are appx. 1 1/2"-1 3/4" wide and anywhere from 5"-6" long. They are long and narrow.

o

Hi. Thaks for the replies. Puglvr1 the foliage on your H. villosa is a similar size but my plant's leaves don't have the crinkles. I'm inclined to go with H. globulosa. I guess I'll just wait for more blooms. I did find another very similar looking hoya in the greenhouse that was labeled H. bandaensis but the leaves are smaller. Who knows if many of mine are correctly identified because the nursery where I bought several of them are notorious for labeling plants incorrectly. Personally it's not that important to me but if I send cuttings I'd like to have them correctly ID'd. I have a bad habit of losing plant tags and with things like brugs and plumerias, even some passies, once the tag is gone you have to call it a NOID even if you think you know the ID. I have no idea if there's that many hoyas that closely resemble each other when in bloom.

o

Karyn,

I ordered a bandaensis from a nursery and THAT one is the one that I'm convinced is the true globulosa, because I'd gotten a globulosa from another source that I trusted and they were identical. My noID has bigger leaves, though quite similar. Carol in Hawaii told me it is not globulosa and she'd probably be able to figure out what it is when it blooms. I suppose it's possible they're different clones of globulosa... Here's photos of the two. First is the one I'm pretty sure is globlulosa - leaves average about 3" long x 1" wide, varying to a little smaller and a little bigger. Leaves are shiny...
Image Hosting by PictureTrail.com

And the noID, whose leaves are more consistent in size, about 5" long x 2" wide, and more matte...
Image Hosting by PictureTrail.com

Pug, that villosa is going on my "must have" list. It's beautiful!!!!

Denise in Omaha

o

• Posted by geosdee Zone 8 FL Panhandle (My Page) on
    Sun, Dec 13, 09 at 9:46

Pug that looks just like mine. I would take a picture however, I can't seem to find my camera.

Denise sent you email.

Dee

o

Thanks Denise, from what I understand this one is a shy bloomer, so I'm definitely growing it for the nice leaves. Of course if it decides to bloom one day...it will be a very
nice bonus.

Dee, I think I remember yours...from CFM off Ebay, right?
It is very pretty!! When you find your camera, post a pic!

o

Denise those look just like my 2. The one tagged bandaensis is the same as your smaller one and the one I posted about also has leaves that are about 5". I wonder if we ordered them from the same place? lol I was looking thru my photobucket album for pics of the blooms but couldn't find them. At first I thought it was a solid cream but it might have had a burgundy center. I just can't remember. Hopefully it will bloom again soon and I can get a better idea of what it is.

o

Karyn,
What are the conditions where you're growing your H. globulosa? (H. bandaensis?) I grew this plant years ago and never got it to bloom. Ted Green says he cannot get the plant to bloom so I'm guessing it needs much cooler conditions to bloom. My plant got those conditions as well as good light and it was a fairly large plant, too, but still never bloomed.

I now have H. villosa and I am hoping I can get it to bloom. I think that H. villosa has some of the coolest leaves I've ever seen on a hoya.
Thanks,
Mike

o

From what I have read Hoya villosa and Hoya globulosa are not at all easy to bloom. There is another Hoya in David Liddles collection that is currently listed as Hoya Welsh Mountain Zoo after it's collection site and it is similar to both species but with both sides of the leaves being pubescent. That is one Hoya I still have on my want list.
I remember talking about Hoya bandaensis before on the forum but this is not a valid name in relation to these species and if you find a plant labeled as Hoya bandaensis it is mislabeled and could be any number of different species.

Mike

o

All my hoyas except for the new macgillivrayis are kept in a greenhouse. That GH is kept humid and as cool as possible during the summer, around 75-80 F during the day, 55-60 F at night and a minimum in the 50's during the winter. In the summer I keep many high altitude tropical plants like tasconias (passiflora), B. vulcanicola, sanguinea and arborea, agapetes and some other misc cloud forest plants in the GH. The hoyas are really kind of neglected. I'm honestly afraid that now that they are getting attention they'll decline.

o

Hi Mike,

Thanks for the info that they're hard to bloom. This way I don't take it too personally that they don't bloom for me!

Denise in Omaha

o

Mike,
I've seen a photo of H. Welsh Mountain Zoo and it's on my most-wanted list as well. WMZ has really cool looking leaves. The leaves of WMZ look much more like H. villosa than H. globulosa/H. bandaensis to me.
Mike
aka tl3 (long story...)

o

Both plants supposed to be globulosa but one on the right has larger matted leaves.
Photobucket

o

Jan,

The one on the right is like my noID. Has it bloomed for you? If so, perhaps you could post a pic I can pass on to Carol and she could identify it for us!

Denise in Omaha

o

Denise, no flowers yet. Maybe next year???

Jan

o

Mon, Dec 14, 09 at 20:34

OK found the camera. Here is a picture of the one that I think might be Villosa and then the second picture is the one that I received as balaensis, that is how he spells it anyway.

H. globulosa

H. balaensis

Yes Denise, I got mine from CBFM.

Dee

o

Very NICE Dee!! That leaf on the last pic is huge!!

o

Mon, Dec 14, 09 at 21:01

Thanks pug, it is 5 inches long and 3 inches across. I hope the new leaf stays shiny and doesn't get that dull look like the older leaves on it. I thought the leaves on the macgillivrayi were supposed to be big but the one I have are small. I hope I don't have a mislabeled one.

Dee

o

Dee the leaves on my macgillivrayi aren't that big either. I got mine from Gardino and have never had any problems with their plants in the past so I'm assuming it's properly identified. The biggest leaves on mine are about 3.5" - 4" long and maybe 2" across at the widest point. Most are smaller but the plant isn't that big yet. I'll be really disappointed if it's not a macgillivrayi.

o

Very nice pics everyone....Pugluvr and geosdee your villosa's are beautiful! That one is on the top of my must have list.Geosdee your balaensis kind of reminds me a pentaphelbia with its big leaves,another must have. Karyn, your globulosa is on my must have list too,I really like the hoya's with big leafs and striking foliage.

o

I have balaensis. I got it from a Thai vendor.The new leaves look very nice, I hope my plant will have that large of new leaves when mine grows.It only has 3 leaves but It is sending out a long leafless vine.I wanted to take a pic but the cameras batteries need to be charged.

Cindy

o

Nice photos! So tempting yet impossible to add any more. :(

Dee the plant in your second photo looks like Hoya balaensis or maybe Hoya glabra to me. I would trust the ID on that one. The name that gets confused with Hoya villosa or Hoya globulosa is Hoya bandaensis.

Cindy did you get your Hoya balaensis from Apodagis? My cuttings are all doing well including the Eriostemma lauterbachii which is in the orchid case for the winter.

Mike

o

Mike, Yes I did get this hoya as a rooted plug from Apodagis and I am very happy that it is growing. I have seen pic of the flowers,so nice.
Good to hear that your hoyas from him are doing well.

Cindy

o

Thanks LGSleeves!! The leaves are really pretty...thank goodness because it sounds like I probably won't ever get flowers,lol...

o

Your very welcome....The leaves are very striking, definity going to have to get that one. May I ask where you got yours from? I see my favorite nursery has them listed....lol. I like the H.balaensis too that Dee has.....love those big leaf hoya's.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hoya Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here