Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
meyermike_1micha

Please help me save this abused and 'orphaned' plant? Pic

meyermike_1micha
13 years ago

Can everyone here give me ideas and suggestions as to what to do for this pro plant?

It was heading to the dumpster yesterday when I grabbed it from my co-worker.I was quite upset since this thing use to look so nice in the window until someone decided one day to just let it die..I have also been told it is over 25 years old!

I use to work at that office and was visiting there...It has been so neglected and now it is mine.

It is huge with massive legs, or vines, lot's of flowering points, and very heavy.

I have no idea where to begin.For now it is just sitting on my table until I get some much needed help here..I know you are all good with caring for these plants, so here I am..

It is in an 8inch container and the mix is dry as a bone...It has lot's of dead vines inter twined with live ones and has no pest's that I can see.

I have no sunny window for it since it would take up a whole window, while I do have a very brightly lit room that holds temps into the 60's all winter.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

I felt really bad for it, and I figured it would be better off with at least me trying to save it than to see it spend just one night in the dumpster with sub freezing temps.

Thank you all.

It is great yellow, dead branches, also many green, and if have a good eye, you will see many, many peduncles.

A few cuttings that fell off loaded with peduncles...

Mike

Comments (22)

• mdahms1979
    13 years ago

I started out growing my Hoya carnosa by trading some other plants for it. The plant I got was in better health but it had not been grown under good conditions so I had to bring it back to health. I trimmed off the dead or yellowed growth and tidied it up as best I could. I repotted into a fresh mix that was much more open than the mix it came in and the plant responded very quickly with new growth.
    I think as long as you clean the plant up a bit, give it some new potting mix and maybe some fertilizer it will bounce back no problem.
    Have you look it over for bugs? It seems strange that someone would just let such a large plant die.

To help with the yellowing you can dissolve 1 Tbsp of Epsom salts in a gallon of water and that will help the plant produce more chlorophyll. You can use Epsom salts on many different types of plants especially heavy feeders that tend to yellow if they are underfed. I used to use this trick with my Brugmansias when they looked like they needed to be a little more green.

You might end up with a bunch of cuttings that you could root. I would trim all the growth back to a healthy point so that the plant looks nice and full once it begins to grow. You might end up loosing many of the peduncles but maybe you can root those sections of vine as well. Even if you leave some of the more bare vines that have peduncles the rest should catch up and help fill out the plant soon enough.

Mike

• greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a
    13 years ago

Mike, what a great rescue!

Don't worry, I think it's completely salvageable!
    As a back-up, stick some of those healthy cuttings in some moist bark to root.
    I'll wager they'll root within a week or so.

As for the big plant - start by cleaning it up, which I'm sure you're already doing:
    Prune out the dead, dry twigs and any misshapen or sickly leaves. Toss the old leaves,
    and quarantine the plant if you can...just in case of pests. A good warm watering,
    followed by a mild dose of Foliage Pro should help, too.

Of course, the mix will be the next issue to evaluate/address....
    but I think you've got that covered. Just monitor the moisture until you can re-pot,
    and use a wick if the soil refuses to drain or dry.

I'm sorry I can't help with the ID at the moment, but I wanted to congratulate you!

Josh

13 years ago

It looks as though Mike D. and I are on the same page! ;)
    (Sorry for the redundancy...cross-posted!)

Josh

• ladygreensleeves
    13 years ago

Hi Mike

I agree with the other Mike...Your plant is starving for a change of soil some fertilizer and lots of TLC! I would start by changing it soil and cleaning off all the dead and dying leaves and stems. Take those cuttings that have falling off already any new ones and reroot them.
    It looks like a ole fashioned carnosa and they are pretty resilient so I think your doing a wonderful thing by giving it a new home and with some love and care by this coming summer you should have a happy plant again.
    Good Luck and Happy Holidays!

Regina

• moonwolf_gw
    13 years ago

Hi Mike,

I agree with the plant being a carnosa. It looks like it needs some Christmas cheer! Keep us updated on how it turns out!

Brad AKA Moonwolf

• mdahms1979
    13 years ago

Brad you made me laugh out loud with your Christmas Cheer comment, that was great! I can just see that poor Hoya sitting by the fire in an old rocking chair with a Hot Tottie.

Mike :)

• klyde
    13 years ago

Mike:

If you end up with a bunch of cuttings, as I have in the past, I have dipped them in a wee bit of rooting hormone (just a tiny bit) and popped them into the same pot as the Mama plant. Most of the cuttings root (like 3/4's) and then I have a very nice full hoya...

Kelly in Victoria

• moonwolf_gw
    13 years ago

Mike D., glad you enjoyed the laugh! My comment wasn't meant to be humorous (something that I find a lot in life)
    but yeah it does conjure up a funny image!

To the poster Mike, if those cuttings do root, you'll have yourself a backup plant in case something should go wrong. I agree that it'll recover, though :) . However, they would make a nice present for someone!

Brad AKA Moonwolf

• meyermike_1micha
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Great idea's everyone..Wow..Thank you so very much!

I have not touched it since I posted this question waiting to see what you guys have to say...
    I will be working on it tommorw and show you the end result with all the suggestions here.

I really appreciate it

Well you did it Brad..I had to laugh too..I think it could use a little Christmas cheer..lol

Josh, Mike, Regina, Brad and Kelly: Cheers! :-))))))

Mike

• meyermike_1micha
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Done!

Because I had time today, I thought I would clean it up as you suggested. I also examined for pest's and there was nothing. I left it in the original pot since I was scared to do a transplant at this time, but will do so in spring.
    I watered with Foliage Pro and warm water with Epsom salts as directed.
    I have it hanging in an east window and the sun will only come in more and more as the equinox has passed. It might like that window area since it is off the kitchen next to a bathroom probably bound to get a bit of humidity.
    Now we wait..:-)

You guys/gals are the best. I will keep you updated. Many thanks.

I also planted many cuttings with peduncles.I hope they grow.

And I had to throw many away though..:-(

• haxuan
    13 years ago

Mike, your re-touched plant looks great! I'm sure it will bound back in no time with your care and that you will be rewarded with lots of blooms.

Xuan

13 years ago

Great job, Mike!

I bet it will start to green up quickly...and the cuttings will root fast!

Josh

• meyermike_1micha
    Original Author
    13 years ago

My goodness!

I am so sorry for the delayed response Josh and Xuan.

I appreciate your kind words and encouragement. I will take another picture soon to show you the difference. Thank you so much. Many cuttings I took have many peduncles. I hope they flower and they root fast.

Mike

• peanut01
    13 years ago

Mike:

That plants relative is located at my work. lol

{{gwi:447864}}

The pots match. The plant and size matches. I do not know the age of this one but probably could find out :)

-David

• meyermike_1micha
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Dave: Your right!

What the heck is the real name of them anyway? lol

Just about every plant I have bought or been givin, has not come with names. Even better yet, when I did buy them before I got serious about my plants, I would throw all the id tags away. I could kick myself for that:-(

If mine even begins to look like that, I will be so greatful.
    Your's is so beautiful and green.

Thank you

Mike

• peanut01
    13 years ago

Mike:

I forgot to mention that this is unfortunately not my plant, nor do I have a window that large in my office. As a matter of fact I do not have any windows in my office. The only plants that I have brought to work are gifts to others and a Crown of Thorns that never stops blooming that I put in a friends office window until spring when it will come home with me. I am pretty positive this plant is a green leaved Hoya Carnosa. This plant is seen in bloom quite frequently. I haven't documented the specific months but I can say that it has went to bloom twice this year.

-David

13 years ago

Happy New Year, Mike!

Any good news on the rescued Hoya?

I'm curious if the cuttings are showing roots...

Josh

• meyermike_1micha
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Happy New Year to you too Josh!! Pop out the champain! Oh wait, it is only 2:40 pm..lol The ball has hours to go before dropping.

I shall have to take a look and let you know.

I am tired of picking up yellow leaves off the floor dropping from the main plant. Do you think it will be ok?

Dave: Exactly how my plant was growing. In a huge office window flowering like mad until people decided to just let it go..I feel so bad for it. Taking it home is not easy either since I haven't a window even close to giving it sun like it was use to recieving.

So I ordered a greenhouse..lol.I hope it makes it till then. This is the straw that broke the camels back. I had to order one for all my resues and those I love raised, inherited, purchased, or givin as gifts to me..It's time and long over due. Besides, I never made it to Disney World this, last year:-(

Mike

13 years ago

Mike, I tried to search online for the greenhouse you bought, but I didn't get any results...

g4? What is the company?

Gracias, Senor!

Josh

• meyermike_1micha
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Hey Josh!

It is a Snap and Grow 6x8 Greenhouse Silver made of Poly Tek

Outdora.com

Tell me what you think? You should get one since they are on sale and free shipping! Very nice people.
    I also got hangers for my Hoya's, a automated vent opener, space heater, and shelves. I can't wait to get it Josh

de nada.

Mike

• meyermike_1micha
    Original Author
    13 years ago

One more thing Josh.

They are adjustable. If I should choose to lengthen it because I run out of room, I can just add more to the origianl..They are very cool and easy to put together.

The base can be anchored to the ground, patio or anywhere, and it with stands all seasons. It is made to keep my plants out even in the coldest of climates all year, as long as it is heated.

Mike

Mike

13 years ago

Thanks, Mike! I read your link when I got home, and I checked 'em out!

Wow, so you can actually keep lengthening the "hallway," as it were. That's a great option.

Josh