Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tlbean2004

Second hoya to get yellow leaves and starting to smell?

tlbean2004
9 years ago

I had a miniwaxleaf hoya lacunosa in a 8in pot. (EA) that started rotting and smelling bad and i think it was a dead so i threw it away this weekend. I got a second one at lowes which was only 3 dollars and on clearance and now it is starting to get the yellow leaves and the rancid smell.

What is going on?
Am i watering to much?
Do i need to spray it witn an insectiside?
Please advise.

Comments (3)

• CrazyPlantLady1
    9 years ago

Do you have good drainage in the pot? Is it sitting in water?

• Denise
    9 years ago

That EA (Exotic Angel) soil is the worst. But the EA plants are really hard to transplant into another mix because they tend to be a bazillion cuttings rooted. But if you can do it, it will help. First, if you got one for only $3, it was probably already on its way to plant heaven. They don't sell them that cheap until they're in bad condition. I'd toss that one, too (or take lots of cuttings if there is still good healthy parts to it and then toss it) and go get a nice, healthy one that just came in. You know, before they have a chance to kill it. Repot it as best you can in a mix of about 1/2 standard potting mix, throw in a handfull or two of orchid bark and then perlite to make up the other 1/2. Then don't water until the top 1/2" of soil feels fairly dry.

Now, if you don't want to mess with repotting, I'll tell you how I water with the EA soil. I have some that I have not repotted, and it seems like I inevitably lose them eventaully if I don't repot them, but I can keep them going for a few years before it happens. By then, I've usually taken cuttings and have new pots of them anyway. When I get them, they are usually saturated because of the way they water them at the box stores. It will usually take a minimum of a month for them to dry out good. Once they've dried out good, I take down the EA plant and put it over my sink, water until it drains out the drainage holes, wait 20 minutes, then repeat. If the pot doesn't feel heavy when I pick it up, I wait another 20 minutes and water again. Once it's well watered, I dump all the excess water from the tray and hang it back up. When it feels dry (and light), I repeat. With indoor Hoyas, that usually works out to about once a month.

Lacunosa is one that is a little picky about watering. Overwatering is sure death, but underwatering can be an issue, too, so check it often. A lot will depend on how close it is to the window, is it getting direct sun, how many days are sunny as opposed to overcast, how warm you keep it in your house, what exposure it sits in... And don't fret when it sheds some leaves - lacunosa is one that always has a few dead leaves on it for me...

Denise in Omaha

• greentoe357
    9 years ago

I've heard EA soil has gotten better recently. My EA plants had a very bumpy ride after I repotted them 1.5 years ago or so. They survived, but there was a multi-month temper tantrum after repotting.

I am with Denise on taking cuttings from EA baskets soon after you buy the plant. And with any plants, ALWAYS take cuttings at first sign of serious trouble like many yellowing leaves at once or foul smell from the soil. Those troubles start in the soil and travel upward, and so there is generally plenty of time to reroot them, if you are observant enough of your plants and can see the writing on the wall and do not procrastinate.

The foul smell can come either from the soil (repot into fresh mix then if there are any healthy roots left, in addition to taking cuttings into another pot) - OR the source may be a bunch of rotting leaves on the surface. Those baskets are often very full, and the dropping leaves may not be noticed and removed, and so they start rotting. This is easier to fix - just lift the dense foliage from the surface of the soil and clean out the yucky rotting leaves from underneath.

Sponsored