Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lightning96

Growing Hoyas in Minnesota ... or other northern places

lightning96
13 years ago

Isn't it true that there are quite a few people here growing hoyas in Minnesota? Just wondering how many are out there, or anyone else in the frozen north---not just MN. How do your hoyas manage in the winter? Do some of your hoyas bloom in winter? Do you supplement your lighting? In your experience do hoyas care a great deal about lower humidity in the 30-40% range?

And another question too (thinking ahead to spring) ----

What is the coldest temp (outside) in which you have successfully mail-ordered hoyas?

Beth 'Lightning'

Comments (16)

• greedygh0st
    13 years ago

I just moved from Minneapolis and now live in Omaha. I know people who say it makes all the difference in the world that Omaha is 15 degrees warmer, but the Hoyas aren't impressed.

I've only been growing Hoyas seriously for a couple years, so there are probably people out there with more experience, but I'll tell you what I know. Last Winter I had mostly cool-loving or intermediate species and they didn't skip a beat. In fact, my radiator died twice last Winter in Minneapolis and the only heat I had was from a couple of space heaters. I had to be under a load of blankets if I was home, but I lost ZERO Hoyas (only Gesneriads). I didn't even move them away from the windows lol. I was using greenhouse grade bubble wrap to insulate those windows, though.

All of my plants are on humidity trays plus I run a humidifier for the Hoyas this time of year. The Gesneriads didn't like the humidifier - it was too much of a good thing for them. I have had Hoyas bloom in the Winter. I used supplemental lighting last Winter and probably will again if only because I already have it. It's not up yet, though, and most of my Hoyas are still actively growing.

Last Winter I ordered some Hoyas that were shipped out on January 19th. They were shipped express in a very well insulated package without a heat pack. I also have a package shipping out this weekend (Yay Joni & Forest Treasures 2!) which will have insulation and a heat pack. I wouldn't really trust the sorts of Hoyas I'm ordering these days to be shipped without a heat pack this time of year, although to be sure, those Hoyas I received last January arrived right as rain and are still kicking about.

• lightning96
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Wow, your reply was filled with information, thanks!

I keep track of the humidity in my house near the hoyas, and it ranges from a low of 30% to a high around 60%, usually in the evenings when we are cooking up a storm around dinnertime. Our house temps are around 68-72 degrees --- the lowest temp at night is around 65 degrees ... this is my first winter with hoyas so i'm a bit curious how they will do, but quite a few of mine are putting out new growth right now, even my H. affinis is growing new leaves in a southern window, H. mindorensis just grew a new leaf, H. aff. paziae is also growing new leaves. But I am watching them all like a hawk, kind of nervous that I might lose one or two as the winter drags on.

I don't have any fancy supplemental lighting either, just some bright compact florescent bulbs...do those help at all if the plants are very close to them?

• greedygh0st
    13 years ago

Compact florescents will certainly make a difference, even if they aren't the most efficient option. Here's a link that summarizes the ins and outs of using them pretty well.

I don't know anything about affinis, but you shouldn't have any problems with the others at those temperatures. I keep my apartment at the same level.

I don't think you're wrong to be watching them like a hawk until you get into the rhythm of winter. They are more vulnerable to disease and such. Just water particularly carefully... like they're all Goldilocks. Your Hoyas are all pretty tolerant and a southern exposure is good for Minnesota winter.

There are other Minnesotans around, but they all arrived the same time as you, so I'm not sure of their stories. :X There are, however, a lot of veterans here from Canada and New England, so don't be too worried about your brood.

• binlin
    13 years ago

@lightning96
    I grow all my plants under artificial light with no natural light so I can't comment much on your first post.

The room is maintained between 15-25C (59-77F) but the temperature directly under the lights is always about 10C higher than ambient temperature.

With supplemental lighting, your plants should bloom year round.
    Here's one of my H. chlorantha:
    {{gwi:995972}}
    {{gwi:995973}}

My Hoyas grow over trays for increased humidity, but that is a fairly recent addition to my setup and they've grown fine without them. Most hoyas should be fine in 30-40% humidity, some Eriostemma might sulk, but I've not had a problem with any yet.

The latest I've ordered Hoyas was about a month ago in late October. The temperature at the time was around 4C during the day and 1C at night. The cuttings spent around a week and a half in an envelope wrapped in newspaper during their trip from Thailand. They arrived pretty beaten up but rooted very quickly.

If your room temperature is 65-72F you should be able to grow just about any Hoya perfectly fine. Warmth loving hoyas like H. imperialis or the eriostemmas will tolerate temperatures down to around this range.

As for supplemental lighting, compact fluorescents will do fine as long as they're bright enough and the colour temperature is correct. Aim for something with light output as high as you can find (2000+ lumens is good) and a colour temperature around 5000-6500K. I grow my plants under a set of shoplights that output around 20000 lumens at 6500K. Keep the light as close as possible without burning the leaves, but you will probably need more than one bulb to cover your collection. Also don't bother with any specialty plant light bulb, any light will do so long as it's bright enough and outputs at the proper wavelengths.

• paul_
    13 years ago

Your temps outside undoubtably are worse than mine most of the time I imagine. I have a SW exposure in my apt livingroom and that's where my Krimson Queen, mindorensis and tsangii reside. Mindie is in bud right now and tsangii just finished a major blooming. My humidity is crappy to put it kindly -- I'm lucky if I can get it up to 30% with 2 humidifiers running. My hoyas don't care.

• babybuttoneyes
    13 years ago

Can't speak to much for the cold, but as far as humidity in so AZ we rarely get even 20%, my plants seem to do fine with just a mist every once or twice a day.

• greedygh0st
    13 years ago

I agree with Paul and BBE that you shouldn't stress overmuch about humidity. I've never seen a Hoya sulk without it, it's more like their growth spurts seem extra exuberant in high humidity, high light conditions.

You might also want to go back and read Mike's thread on seasonal changes in Hoyas natural habitat. It might help you make decisions about your setup.

Here is a link that might be useful: The Changing Seasons

• gennykins
    13 years ago

This is my first winter with most hoyas although I've had a carnosa for several years. It thrives less than three feet from my front door, drafts and all, and I keep my thermostat at 65 during the day and 55 at night. Its right up against a sw window and I've never given it supplemental light or humidity. Other happy hoyas are my variegated carnosas, pubicalyx, fitchii, aff clandestina, polyneura, and variegated ds-70.

A couple of the hoyas I aquired over the summer are not as happy and merrilee and benguetensis have had a vine partially die back. Other hoyas just seem to be in a period of dormancy - not growing but not dying, either. We'll see what the next couple of months bring before the sun starts heating up again in February.

Lisa

• puglvr1
    13 years ago

Rennet, your H. chlorantha is just Beautiful and those blooms, very NICE! I have a tiny cutting...just sitting there,lol...gives me something to look forward to, but probably not for at least a few years. Thanks for the lovely pictures!

• lightning96
    Original Author
    13 years ago

You wonderful people have me feeling much better about winter now. And those are some awesome photos Rennet, H. chlorantha looks like one I might be interested in getting sometime in the near future. Yours looks like a very healthy and happy plant! And the info you & greedyghost give about CF lighting is excellent, thank you!

We are having our second winter storm of the year right now as I speak, and have already had temps down around 0F (wind chills -2 degrees F), but it is just awesome to come home to a house with hoyas, growing happily despite a blizzard outside.

• greedygh0st
    13 years ago

Hear! Hear! to the cheer of walking inside, stamping the snow off your boots, and being surrounded by tropical greenery. (particularly with the boost of grow lights). Plus, they help so much to counteract stuffy winter house air. I bet everyone here has homes with fresh alive-smelling air year round.

Rennet- How old was your chlorantha before it was ready to bloom? This is one that grows vivaciously for me, but I'm not sure when I can expect the next stage.

• Denise
    13 years ago

Beth,

You don't need any special conditions for Hoyas. I don't use supplemental light. I do have a small GH off my kitchen, but in winter it gets very limited light due to the southness of the sun. Many of my plants grow in the house in east and west windows and do just fine. I don't use a humidifer either, other than the one on my furnace. I've tried using a humidifer, but it just creates problems for me - mold tends to become a real issue.

Right now, I have a few blooming, creating a plethura of fragrances at night. Hoyas are really the best for those of us in cold climates!

Denise in Omaha

• binlin
    13 years ago

@puglvr1
    Look forward to your chlorantha blooms, I've had mine for only 6 months. It started out as 3 cuttings about 20cm (8in) long and has put out tons and tons of growth very quickly. Each of the vines is now at least 3 feet long and there are at least 2 peduncles getting ready to bloom on each vine.

@lightning96
    Thanks.
    As stated before, don't worry much about the humidity. Although the plants will probably enjoy it, it's not necessity for growing Hoyas.
    If you have any questions about artificial lighting then feel free to ask, I've been experimenting with it for about 2 years.

@greedyghost
    My chlorantha was shipped from Thailand as 3x 8 inch cuttings. It spent about 2 weeks rooting and then about 2 months doing absolutely nothing.
    Not to worry though, once it gets started it never really stops growing. I notice that at best, the vines grow several inches a day, and in October (5 months old) it started putting out several peduncles on each vine. The first round of flower buds all aborted except the two flowers you see above, probably because of uneven moisture (I was away for about a week). The second round looks much more successful (2nd picture), and I'm expecting lots and lots of flowers.
    H. chlorantha seems to be a quick growing and easy blooming variety, at least under the conditions I provide for it.
    If yours is growing fast, then I's sure you'll see blooms soon enough.

• greedygh0st
    13 years ago

Denise- I'm glad to hear about the way you grow your plants in winter as it sounds like mine are in similar conditions. I completely agree that humidifiers should be used with caution. Mine helps more than harms in my current conditions, but I've had it aide in a real powdery mildew epidemic in the past.

Rennet- Thanks for the details about your chlorantha. This truly is a fast growing monster. It doesn't surprise me that you can see such extraordinary growth under your lovely conditions. I'm glad to know the details of your successful blooming history, as this was the first Hoya I selected specifically for its flower. It always surprises me that more people don't grow this one - I guess it must just not be everyone's taste.

• blfresh
    13 years ago

My KP is in our large south facing living room window. We keep the home at 68 and it is doing great. It is putting out a few leaves and several new peduncles are forming. I really like the pink, yellow and green leaves. It's nice to other Minnesotans here!

• missyrose7
    13 years ago

I live in Minnesota and I don't change anything during the winter. My hoyas sit in a south window that gets nice morning sun, no tray for humidity or anything. Mine grow fine and they are actually growing a lot right now. I may be a very lazy gardener but my plants look great.

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting
More Discussions