Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
moonwolf_gw

A Christmas Hoya? Yes, Please!

moonwolf_gw
12 years ago

Hi everyone,

I'm thinking of ordering from Joni but not sure what plant to choose. I have a few in mind and it'll be a hanging plant. The one I've been eyeing is lacunosa 'Royal Flush'. It's been on my wish list for quite a while. Here are the ones I have written down.

aff. Scortechinii

cv. Pinkie

cv. Mathilde

sp. Estrella Waterfall (really would like this one; I see she doesn't have it in stock right now)

sp. Kumning Kina

citrina

laucnosa 'Royal Flush'

memoria

obovata x carnosa

pubicalyx 'Bright One'

What are your experiences growing these? Which one should I go for?

Brad AKA Moonwolf

Comments (20)

• mdahms1979
    12 years ago

Brad if you are looking for a hanging plant I would recommend Hoya memoria, Hoya Mathilde, or Hoya sp Kunming Kina. These three have appealing leaves with Hoya memoria being the easiest to grow. Hoya sp aff. Scortechinii is a very neat plant but I believe it is a pretty vigorous climber at times so it would not be a good choice for a hanging plant.

My vote is for Hoya memoria.

Mike

Here is a link that might be useful: Hoya memoria on the Swedish Hoya Society gallery page

• moonwolf_gw
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks, Mike!

I never knew memoria had such beautiful leaves! Hmm, makes me think twice about getting Royal Flush :).

Brad AKA Moonwolf

• mitzicos
    12 years ago

Brad,

I vote for memoria too! Good indication Mike!

Mitzi from Brazil

• bama_gardener
    12 years ago

Good morning, Brad. I would also vote for memoria, simply because Royal Flush is common and would be easy for you to pick up another time. I have one that I would gladly send cutting from when the weather warms up.
    Beverly

• moonwolf_gw
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Memoria it is then! The flowers are so pretty (what hoya flowers aren't? lol) and I read they have a caramel like scent :).

Beverly, I'd be happy to get a Royal Flush cutting from you! Thank you! I have a Ruby Sue cutting that I recieved rooted back in the summer and it's growing new leaves right now!

Brad AKA Moonwolf

• bama_gardener
    12 years ago

Brad, let me know when you think your weather has warmed enough to mail cuttings to you. I may try to get some rooted before then since they're in the greenhouse. The temps are cool, but it can't hurt to try.
    Beverly

• greedygh0st
    12 years ago

Well the decision has been clearly made for memoria and I think it's a wise one as this is a sweet and unique little Hoya. I wouldn't have thought to base my recommendations on your predilection for hanging baskets, so hats off to Mike on that one!

But just for the record, my favorite from that bunch is aff. scortechinii, which I did receive from Joni and Whoa Nelly. I am so into those leaves right now. Talk about beautiful without the need for flowers. Joni actually has quite a few with similar foliage and wandering around her grow space my heart did repeated flip flops over them.

• Laura_Carnosa
    12 years ago

*sigh*
    No Christmas Hoya for me... Must wait for spring.

Memoria is on my list, too! I'm sure you will love it Brad.

• moonwolf_gw
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Beverly, I'll let you know when it's warm enough! I hope the cuttings root for you!

GG, glad to hear memoria is a favorite! I agree, hats off to Mike for that one!

Laura, sorry to hear you have to wait until spring for anymore hoyas. Gardening's year round for me (getting ready to plant seeds in 10 days; it's called winter sowing). Winter sowing is lots of fun and easy to do :). It always helps me beat the winter blues. Plus seeing the lush foilage on my plants helps too.

Brad AKA Moonwolf

• mdahms1979
    12 years ago

GG I am still lusting after that Hoya sp aff. scortechinii because my last order from Thailand got lost due to the flooding. I am very happy that most of the Hoya collection at Aleya's Garden was saved but they must have lost some of their plants.
    Hoya sp aff. scortechinii you will be mine!

Mike

• luvidaho_2010
    12 years ago

I also have to wait until spring to add a new Hoya, too darn cold here! My birthday is next month so I have decided since I have to wait for my Christmas present to myself until spring I will treat myself to a birthday present at the same time.
    I might have to find a memoria.
    Brad, gardening year round sounds wonderful!
    Tami

• mairzy_dotes
    12 years ago

I agree. H. memoria is a lovely little hoya that stays nice and compact, and has pretty speckled foliage that hangs beautifully from it's basket. Easy care and great blooms that smell devine. What better hoya to go for. I would not want to be without one.

• mairzy_dotes
    12 years ago

If you can get 2, I think I would get the cv. Mathilde also. It is another easy care, "beautiful-hanging-in-a basket" one that blooms easily and smells good.

• moonwolf_gw
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Tami, Winter Sowing is awesome! All it takes is some seeds, potting soil, empty milk jugs (or any clear plastic container), a paint pen, scissors and something sharp to punch holes with. Now if I had a greenhouse, I think my plants would be much happier!

Mairzy Dotes, sadly, I'm only getting one but maybe later on for my birthday in March I'll get another plant.

Brad AKA Moonwolf

• greedygh0st
    12 years ago

/Brad.

I'm impressed you're a winter sower. I have thought about it before, but I have to admit I enjoy this time of year when my plant duties are slightly less demanding. I think I get slightly worn out across the course of the spring and summer and when fall hits I'm too lazy to do more than maintain my current flock. :3

/Mike.

I must have missed when you lost your Thailand order. I'm so sorry to hear that. Glad to hear you haven't given up on sp. aff. scortechinii. Obviously it's right up your alley.

• moonwolf_gw
    Original Author
    12 years ago

GG, it's always nice to have a break from our plant duties. Most of my hoyas don't do much anyway (there are a few exceptions, like keeping a constant watch for the mealybugs and watering them) but the spring and summer I'm focused on my houseplants plus my outdoor garden. Winter is strictly for winter sowing for me. It's amazing! Last year was my first year of WS and I did a total of 75 containers and about 90-95 percent of them sprouted :). 9 days to go before I can plant. It begins on the Winter Solstice and you plant for the four values: Mother Nature, Life, Remembrance and Leap Of Faith. For me, that will be Joe Pye Weed, Cardinal Flower, Blue Vervain and Boneset.

If anyone on here does outdoor gardening and wants to give it a try, let me know! I'd be happy to help (and send a few seeds if you want)!

Brad AKA Moonwolf

• mdahms1979
    12 years ago

Brad I am happy to see you planting Blue Vervian. I saw a fantastic antique herb jar on the weekend at a local antiques dealer. There was a beautiful hand painted blue Vervian plant on the white porcelain jar. I didn't buy the jar because I don't use Blue Vervian as a medicinal herb but now I think I am going to have to go get it anyways. I wish I could find a set of jars like this for the other herbs I use.

Mike

Here is a link that might be useful: Blue Vervian

• moonwolf_gw
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Mike, yes go and get that jar! After reading that article, it sounds like I could use a cup of Blue Vervain tea since I battle kidney stones from time to time. It's a beautiful looking plant and I can't wait until I can get to plant it!

Brad AKA Moonwolf

• Laura_Carnosa
    12 years ago

I did try one year to start seeds indoors, & it was so sad. All my seedlings were leggy from not enough light, and when I tried to harden them off, a brisk wind toppled all of my trays. *sniff* I've never tried again.

Here in 3b, I'd start sowing in late spring, no sooner than mid-April to put them out for the third week in May.
    It's not uncommon to have frost here up 'til then.

Brad: Ouch. Less coffee, more water! ;-D

• tigerdawn
    12 years ago

I know a guy who had kidneystones even though he drank lots of water. Turns out his hard tap water was to blame! He has to drink mostly bottled water now.

My Royal Flush did very well for a couple of years but it has been declining for a few months. Not really sure what's going on with it.