Return to the Hoya Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Three Cheers for (insert your name here)!

Posted by greedyghost 5 (My Page) on
Mon, Dec 31, 12 at 13:48

Not that my New Year's Resolutions topic has exactly thrilled everyone to their marrow...

...but when I was reading the responses, it got me thinking that I should start a complimentary thread.

Because this time of year, sometimes we can get down on ourselves, because we're so focused on the things we want to change that we've failed to do in the past. So, I wanted to ask you what you successfully pulled off in 2012 that freaking awesome. I know you did some great stuff, so let us pat you on the back too. :)

Here's my list:

1. Figured out how to keep mounted Dischidias happy. -woot!
2. Created a super functional database (Thank you, Bento!) that I can edit both on my computer and phone. It tells me exactly where each plant is located, as well as other useful stuff, like whether it is big enough to take cuttings, whether it has a aluminum label yet, etc. As well as all the usual stuff, like who I got it from, when, and for what cost (if any). I was thinking I should also add a field to track when it first flowered. It's nice to be using a formal database program, because it makes tailoring things over time a lot easier.
3. Installed a more low profile artificial lighting system.
4. Got a RO system, and the tools required for taking related measurements.

Every year we get better at growing Hoyas. :) Congratulations everyone on your own successes!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Three Cheers for (insert your name here)!

I agree GG every year I get better at taking care of my hoyas. It sure was a big learning curve.So far this is the first winter that I have not to killed any of my hoyas,either by over watering or with fertilizer burn.

o

One day I will make it to that level! I don't have any certain losses yet this winter, but I have a few in the emergency ward atm.

The longer you grow, the better your eyes get at reading Hoya body language. I think that's what really makes the difference. And it's not something you can force - you just have to keep looking at those Hoyas every day and patiently let the skill find you.

o

Three cheers for Lesley! (breaks arm patting self on back) She bought a house and filled it full of hoyas! And she only killed three out of over sixty of them, despite being a hoya newbie! Woot indeed!

o

Three cheers for Brad! I managed to:
1.) Bring my fungii into bloom.
2.) Keep the pests (the mealies, primarily) at bay.
3.) Aquire a few new Hoyas that I've been wanting AND keeping them alive (bella, heushkeliana, javanica "Milky Way", to name a few.

However, my Ruby Sue lacunosas are the only ones that are pouty for me at the moment, the EA from Wal-Mart more so than my cutting. I lost my little Sno Caps. For some strange reason, Pink Silver has leaves that are turning brown (dry texture) and falling off.

On the upside, I gave nummularoides and bella a little tomato fertilizer since they are showing new growth. Maybe this will coax a bloom out of them :-).

Brad AKA Moonwolf

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hoya Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here