Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
vermonthoyas

World's Smallest Hoya Flower?

vermonthoyas
9 years ago

I'm thinking that Hoya ignorata has got to be the smallest Hoya flower in the world.

Here is what Christine Burton has to say about the plant:

"I havenâÂÂt seen an actual plant of this one but, judging from the on-line illustrations I found, my opinion is: âÂÂSave your moneyâ¦. even if itâÂÂs only Confederate money or Monopoly money. That is the ugliest thing IâÂÂve ever seen next to cow pies and horse hockey pucks! I canâÂÂt imagine anyone wanting to grow it. IâÂÂd not ignore it though. If it grew in my yard, IâÂÂd be just as diligent in eliminating it as I do poison ivy!!!"

Despite that less than ringing endorsement, I have found it to be a quite pleasant little plant that gets nice leaf color, and well worth growing. For a size perspective, here is a photo of a peduncle of 10 flowers next to a single lacunosa bloom." The flowers are even smaller than Dischidia blooms.

Comments (13)

• Denise
    9 years ago

Wow, Doug, that IS tiny!! That's some amazing macro photography. I looked up ignorata and I didn't find it in the least ugly - I'm not sure why Christine finds it so unappealing... There are Hoyas that I find a little ho-hum when it comes to leaves that I still grow for the flowers - one of which comes to mind is vanuatuensis. And I think, really, that beauty is in the eye of the beholder, so even though vanuatuensis might be somewhat ordinary to me (or another as appealing as a "cow pie" to someone else!), the next person might find it very attractive.

Can you show us a photo of your whole plant to give an idea of the size of the leaves? That flower is just adorable with the little golden orbs in the center!

Denise in Omaha

• aurorawa
    9 years ago

They are cute!

• greedygh0st
    9 years ago

LOL Thanks for sharing that quote. I would read CB's writings just for her scathing dismissal of various Hoyas. Makes me grin.

IGNORATA'S VOICE
    Well, excuse me for living!!

It does look like a weed to me, too, but awwwww teeny Hoya blooms are so cute... like the plant is whispering, or in some cases, mumbling.

I love moths. I love moths. what the... is that a camera?!! perv. -_-

And those button-type flowers always remind me of something May Gibbs would draw.

• vermonthoyas
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Yes GG, CB has said quite a few funny things over the years; there is no doubt about it. She sure doesn't pull her punches:)

Here is a photo of the front of the plant growing in hydroton:

• vermonthoyas
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Here is a photo of the plant from the back showing the peduncles that grow at every node:

• greedygh0st
    9 years ago

Oh, of course your plant looks much lovelier than the other pictures I saw. Leave it to you, Doug.

It looks kind of lasiantha/praetorii-ish. Is it similar in disposition? Or a completely different animal?

• vermonthoyas
    Original Author
    9 years ago

GG, I can't really say what kind of animal it is yet as I have only been growing it for around six months. It has similarities to lasiantha and praetorii for sure. I'm not even sure that growing it using semi-hydro is the best way; I just happened to start growing it in hydroton where it seems to at least be holding its own. It came from as a tiny two node cutting from Sweden,was rooted in the UK, and forwarded on to me in August of this year. Here is one last macro of the flowers:

• greedygh0st
    9 years ago

Oh wow that is an amazing photo!!!! I could stare at it all day. Bugs live in an exquisite lollipop paradise, don't they?

What a globetrotter! And look how fast it's grown from practically nothing! Hoyas sure are something.

• rennfl
    9 years ago

It's definitely interesting. As usual, you have great pictures Doug.

Renee

• vermonthoyas
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you Renee!

Doug

• greentoe357
    9 years ago

Srsly, those pictures (and of course the plant!) are orders of magnitude more attractive than anything on the first couple of screens of google search results.

And yeah, Christine has quite a way with words, doesn't she!

• greedygh0st
    9 years ago

Dangit, greentoe. I thought English was supposed to be a second language - how do you consistently put stuff so much better than me!! (âÂÂâÂÂâÂÂ)

• PRO
    Jan Sword-Rossman Realty 239-470-6061
    9 years ago

Doug, I think those flowers are just cute as button. Great phtography too. Thanks for sharing!

Sponsored
More Discussions