Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
pirate_girl

My Hoyas; Small Plants But Well Loved

pirate_girl
13 years ago

Got a bit of time on my hands, thought I'd post some of my Hoyas, some also no ID:

Guessed ID

H. Meredithii/Vitellinoides

this leaf is THREE years old. Cutting came w/ 1 node & 1 leaf. Bloomed in a plastic baggie just as I left for FLA to arrange my Father's Memorial. On hearing Dad had just died & the cutting bloomed in the bag, someone suggested it was Dad passing by, nice thought.

I'd tentatively IDed this as marked for the person who gave it to me, who'd also had it bloom. Mine has never got another leaf or node, how odd.

its very knobby node

a recent gift by a Fairy Hoya Godmother from here, came w/ ID of Hoya pallida, I haven't found pix that match these leaves, but I think they're gorgeous markings:

Ain't it handsome? Thank you again, Gifter!!

H. australis from our friend Cena (w/ the green dots on tips of new leaves):

Some cuttings I made of this plant have the new growth brown/burgundy, some don't:

Current cuttings of this plant are NOT doing this, just coming in plain old green.

I believe this is H. cumminmgiana, the last survivor of 6 Hoyas I'd got from 'Accents for the Home' in Aug. 09

I've since cut it back & am water rooting the cuttings. I like how small this one is, itty bitty leaves:

Comments (7)

• pirate_girl
    Original Author
    13 years ago

More miscellaneous Hoyas:

Same H cummingiana to the left of a Euph. milii moratii to show relative size (note its thirsty but handsome variegated leaves)

My green H kerrii growing Hydro:

Lovely water rooted roots on a H pubicalyx Pink Splash from another Fairy Godmother in Hoyas (oh great aunt that she became)

Hydro variegated H Kerrii

We'd been having a discussion on how thick H. kerrii's stems were, so I took these shots, remember?

w/ pencil for comparison against the stem:

(that red-tipped thingie is the water meter that came in this Hydro growing Hoya's set-up)

So one can see why it's best to bend & hoop these stems when the branch is new.

Now, some unknown Hoya leaves: I can't remember where I got these, anybody recognize them? Could they be H mathilde?

another view, note the graceful taper to the leaf tip, seems more elegant than carnosa:

Part of the Hoya setup in the kitchen (next to a west window)

w/ some non-Hoya interlopers, forgive them, they came for the strong sun: Sedum morganianum (burro's tail) & my beloved all time favorite Polyscias Balfouriana, aka Balfour Aralia.

Closing w/ a shot of H. Iris Marie who's seems an excellent & vigorous grower: (another from Fairy Hoya Godmother from here)

To all Hoya friends & Fairy Hoya Godmother / swappers over the years -- thank you all!!!

• mdahms1979
    13 years ago

Karen does that first one have raised veins and a rubbery/leathery feel to the leaf? I think you might have Hoya cleminsorianum and the presence of purple veins on the backside of the leaf would be a good indication of that species. This is a slow grower and really only performs well in hot and bright conditions. If the leaf does not have raised veins then you could have finlaysonii, vitellinoides or another closley related species. Sometimes IDing from photos is difficult.

That second Hoya is a real beauty and it goes by several different names without having a definite ID. Plants sold as Hoya pallida and Hoya sp Bogor both appear to be this species.

Mike

• jlt37869
    13 years ago

Nice set up, Karen. Your plants are small, but they look great!! I was always a bit curious how you managed space-wise in the city.

Jennifer

• greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a
    13 years ago

Nice Hoyas (and Aralia!).

Josh

• geosdee
    13 years ago

Karen, the one you think might be Mathilde I don't think is, not sure what it could be but my Mathilde at least are small round leaves with some speckles. Can send you a cutting of Mathilde in the spring if you want.

Dee

• lightning96
    13 years ago

Here's a pic of my cv 'Mathilde' for reference --- I love it's small perfectly round leaves ---

• pirate_girl
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Hello again,

I'm back, interesting comments.

Mike,

I'd never really touched the leaf, am leary since there's only one. But yes, it's both rubbery & leathery to the touch, almost feels a bit like plastic The veins ARE raised but no purple on the back.

Well as to Mathilde, I'm just throwing out guessing about that set of leaves w/ the elegant taper I spoke about guess it's not.

Now that Dee mentions it, I do recall it's a cross btwn Carnosa & Serpens, right, Serpens lends it that great round leafed look. Kind of you to offer, thank you. Perhaps in Spring I can see what I might swap you for it.

Thanks Josh,

I have more Hoyas in other places, but this is the Balfour Aralia that I just adore. I am currently starting some in several different methods to try & make sure I'll always have some (I think I've got 4 of them going at the moment).

Sponsored
More Discussions