Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
moonwolf_gw

My Hoyas Must Have Keen Hearing :)

moonwolf_gw
12 years ago

Hi everyone,

I find it strange that at this time of year, when most of our houseplants are resting, I currently have a long new vine on my fungii! Wait! There's more! Just a few days ago I spotted a peduncle on this new vine! My plant sits right at the south facing window and it gets a nice amount of sunlight. Most of my plants have hardly been fed since mid to late summer (ran out of MG tomato fertilizer) and all I've been using is rain water on my plants. Should I feed fungii some weak basic MG houseplant fertilizer?

This new peduncle is the second one on my plant (it only has two lol). I just might have to keep a look out for buds!

Brad AKA Moonwolf

Comments (7)

• bama_gardener
    12 years ago

Hey, Brad. Where have you been? Hope you had a nice Thanksgiving. Good to see you posting again.
    My DS-70 bloomed all summer after I bought it and now that I've moved it to the greenhouse, it hasn't stopped!! It seems to love to bloom. Can't say the same for the rest of them!!
    Beverly

• mdahms1979
    12 years ago

That's great news Brad. Keep up posted on that Hoya fungii of yours.

Mike

• moonwolf_gw
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Hey Beverly! Oh I've been busy getting ready for Christmas and Thanksgiving went well. It was just my parents, my one uncle and I but still it was a good meal. Lucky for you to have a greenhouse, whereas, like many folks, I can only dream of owning one. Wow! I knew DS-70 was a heavy bloomer from what I read.

Hi Mike! I'll keep everyone posted on how fungii's doing. The new vine seems to be growing pretty rapidly lol.

Today also happens to be my dad's birthday. He turned 57 today :). We didn't do anything special but mom and I bought him a card and a mug with some candy in it when we were at the local Christmas craft show a few days ago.

Brad AKA Moonwolf

• greedygh0st
    12 years ago

Congratulations on your new growth, Brad. Certainly give your fungii some fertilizer if you care to, as it seems like it's in a productive mood. ^_^ I love this time of year because I stop paying very close attention to my Hoyas and then get to feel proportionately more amazed by what they've been getting up to.

I've been considering the New Year's resolution to take a daily photo of my plants for a whole year. Some of the photos will no doubt be boring and hurried, but it might be a good incentive to capture the simple bread and butter pleasures of growers like us. What do you think?

• pirate_girl
    12 years ago

I'm guessing you'll burn out, well, sorry, I guess I'd burn out.

What about pix once a week or so? I think every day is too frequent to see changes (am guessing).

• greedygh0st
    12 years ago

lol Could be you're right. That's definitely the thought that prompted me to throw the idea out there.

A favorite blogger of mine, Bonita of Chez Larsson did such a project a year or so ago and when she started I found the idea SO tedious and predictable. Coffee table booky, you know? I was way more interested in her organizing ideas and white paint > all theory. Nonetheless, I could see as the year progressed that she had managed to nail down something intangible: the every day.

My thought was that we tend to mainly photograph our plants when they are either blooming or doing something horrible. But really, most of us get our plant mood therapy from the stuff we see in between tragedy and glory. I want to see if, like, somewhere around day 200, I've captured a handful of pictures that capture that relationship. The thing that keeps us poking around in familiar plants day after day.

Cheesy, huh?
    Yeah totally. But don't worry, I won't be sharing 365 days of photos on here LOL. Probably they'd be a boring set of photos for anyone but me, like the way people try to show you 365 to-you-identical pictures of their baby. But unlike them I have more than one baby at least ^_ !

• moonwolf_gw
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thank you, GG! I'll give it some MG Houseplant fertilizer next time I water it.

Wow! That is one devoted project! If nothing else, that would teach one LOTS of patience!

Brad AKA Moonwolf

Sponsored
Daniel Russo Home
Average rating: 4.7 out of 5 stars13 Reviews
Premier Interior Design Team Transforming Spaces in Franklin County