Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
moonwolf_gw

Back From Christmas Shopping.....

moonwolf_gw
13 years ago

Hi everyone,

I got most of my shopping done today and look at what I picked up for myself at Lowe's today!

Australis spp. tenuipes (The first time I've seen it at Lowe's); they had several of these.

{{gwi:116830}}

Nummularioides in full bloom and more buds coming! I've seen this one the past two times at Lowe's and I was suprised to find it in bloom! It smells wonderful! I think I've found my lacunosa replacement! It was the only numm. there so I just had to snatch it up!

{{gwi:116832}}

These were the only two types of hoyas they had. They did have Thanksgiving cacti there which I was going to get if they didn't have much houseplants but they did!

Brad AKA Moonwolf

Comments (23)

• mdahms1979
    13 years ago

Wow Brad you got two very nice Hoyas, love that nummularioides.

Mike

• moonwolf_gw
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks, Mike!

Mom said that both of them are considered Christmas presents from her and dad (he's the one that takes me up to the town where Lowe's and HD are located). Lowe's and HD and lots of other stores that I shop at are about 40-45 minutes away from us and we don't get there that often.

I did see a sickly lacunosa there but it looked like it was in the throwaway shelf. When I first saw the australis spp. tenuipes it looked like a dischidia from a distance until I saw the tag up close. It was a very good day indeed!

Brad AKA Moonwolf (who's happily howling)

• cpawl
    13 years ago

Looks like you were very lucky on your shopping trip.I love the smell of nummularioides. I have a huge pot and I cant get it to bloom.I gave a small cutting to my mom a few years back and hers blooms every nov/dec.

cindy

• greedygh0st
    13 years ago

Wow, what a thrilling trip. Those are both lovely. I'm really fond of tenuipes - I think it's very elegant. And nummularioides! Is there anything cuter than this one in bloom? No, no there isn't.

• moonwolf_gw
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Cindy, the nummularioides smells really good! I think it can be best described as a floral scent (it reminds me of when I walk into a florist's) It is now one of my favorites and I look forward to growing it!

GG, tenuipes is one of my favorites too. It has nice foilage and I don't care if it blooms or not! I don't know what to do with it if it blooms as I read and heard it has a strong scent and mom's nose is very sensitive. She thinks that nummularioides has a strong scent! She says that it smells like lilacs to her.

I have a cutting of australis spp. tenuipes and I don't know what to do with it since I got this plant. I'm definitely going to put it on a trellis of some sort. I have bamboo stakes I can stick in the pot.

Brad AKA Moonwolf

• lightning96
    13 years ago

Wow I am really jealous of what you can find at your local places! We have NOTHING here! Those plants are amazing. H. nummularoides is on my wish list.

• greedygh0st
    13 years ago

Beth- I don't know where exactly you live, but there are always EA Hoyas at the Owatonna Lowes. Never saw them in the Twin Cities, but I really only went to HD there b/c it was closest. Anyway, I always figured if they are in Owatonna of all places, they must be elsewhere in MN, too, you just have to find them.

Brad- I think it will still be fun for you to grow your cutting of tenuipes. My tenuipes is still quite small and I think it looks darling in its immature stage. I thought I'd heard somewhere that it was an early bloomer, so maybe you'll find out soon whether your mother's nose can tolerate the fragrance.

• gennykins
    13 years ago

I have purchased lacunosa, 'Ruby Sue' lacunosa, and 'Chelsea' at the Plymouth Lowes and have also seen nummularloides (sp?), brevialata, wayetii/kentiana, Krimson Queen and Princess, and 'Marlea'. Maybe its worth a drive?

Lisa

• Denise
    13 years ago

Brad,

You'll want to grow tenuipes on a very sturdy trellis. It grows fast and straight up. And up, and up! I'm continuosly whacking mine back to force lower growth. And be sure to put it in a room you can close off because your mom will not be a happy camper when it starts blooming if she has sensitive olfactory senses! Not that it smells bad - it has a spicey, pleasant fragrance, but oh-boy, is it a HEAVY bloomer. So the fragrance is quite overwhelming! Mine is blooming right now... I'm loving it!

Denise in Omaha

• ladygreensleeves
    13 years ago

Brad.....Just thought I would let you know that tenuipes is a Nov/Dec bloomer just like nummulariodes. From the picture it looks like your plant is mature enough to bloom soon. If it hasen't this year perhaps with the right growing conditions come next fall/winter it will.

This is one of the umbels that my 'Teneipes' is sharing with me right now.

• moonwolf_gw
    Original Author
    13 years ago

GG, I think I will keep my cutting for now. It doesn't hurt to have a backup plant! Has your plant bloomed?

Denise, I think it was last year when your australis spp. tenuipes bloomed that it had around 50 umbels? I have a tomato cage that I can grow it on. If I see signs of buds, I'll give mom a heads up. There really isn't a room that we close off that I can put it, but I'll figure out something.

LGS, congrats on the flowers! My plant doesn't show any signs of blooming yet, but I'll be jumping for joy when I do find buds!

Brad AKA Moonwolf

• ladygreensleeves
    13 years ago

Brad...I should mention that the plant will need to grow some nice long vines for it to produce peduncles. Looking back at your photo I see where at the top near the hanger it is starting to throw out a couple of vines now. Don't cut those vines! Often it is on those long sometime leafless vines that peduncles form. I would venture to say that next year with proper care and fertilization you will see a bloom or two. Good Luck!

• moonwolf_gw
    Original Author
    13 years ago

LGS, I unbunched them after I took the photo, and yes there is some new growth! Makes me think twice if they really have a winter dormancy as I see a new leaf on my Royal Hawaiian Purple and mindorensis. I never trim my hoyas unless I'm taking cuttings or picking out dead vines/leaves.

Brad AKA Moonwolf

• greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a
    13 years ago

Brad, my RHP cuttings are growing new leaves like crazy...
    Is that strange this time of year?

Josh

• pirate_girl
    13 years ago

Very nice finds Brad, esp. that Numm. w/ all those blooms on it, pretty amazing!

Hi Josh,

I think not necessarily.

I was noticing just yesterday that at least 4 or 6 of my Hoyas are in active new growth particularly my Pubicalyxes. Have new shoots coming from down in the mix or new branches, rather than just new leaves. (Just this week the temp in NYC dropped from 50s to 30s, so I guess winter's just arrived, odd combination / timing.)

Yet I aso see new shoots on my ZZs, anybody else? Traditionally they usually sprout new growth in Sept. & Feb. & I've got 2 of them doing it now. Wonder if they're 2 months early to Feb. or 2 months late from Sept.?

Anyway, always happy to see new growth, especially when outdoor temps are in the 30s, brrrrr (am procrastinating going out on foot on the first really cold day...)

• puglvr1
    13 years ago

Ladygreensleeves, your blooms are GORGEOUS!! I love white blooms too...I've yet to bloom a hoya with white blooms, had an off white with pottsii...but not white. Hopefully next Spring? Congrats and thanks for sharing!

Brad, good luck with your new hoyas and what Great buys...love all the blooms on your Numm...hope your Australis blooms for you this Spring, I'm betting it will. Enjoy them!

• moonwolf_gw
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks PG and Pug!

Pug, I didn't know australis could bloom in the spring. I thought it was more of a summer/fall bloomer. Of course, I've read that carnosa can bloom year round. I guess that it'll bloom when it wants to like other hoyas.

Brad AKA Moonwolf

• ladygreensleeves
    13 years ago

Thanks Pug....This year I seen first time blooms on several of my plants.

Brad....as many people here know I love to swap and share cuttings as you do. I often leave several vines untouched on each Hoya, so that they may grow and develop peduncles and bloom.

Josh....It's not unusual to see new growth throughout the year. Quite a few of mine have new growth, or are blooming right now.

• greedygh0st
    13 years ago

Brad- No, my tenuipes has not bloomed yet. It's grown steadily but not wildly for me, so I believe I have a ways to go. As I said, I particularly like the look of my plant at its current size, so I don't mind. I can't get enough of australises. Something about the light greens and roundish leaves.

Being one who doesn't have too many regularly blooming Hoyas yet, I really enjoy these discussions of what time of year particular species bloom. You all have gotten to know your plants so well. It's very chummy sounding.

• tlbean2004
    8 years ago

Brad, do you still have both of those plants?

How are they doing?

• moonwolf_gw
    Original Author
    8 years ago

tlbean, no, I do not have either of these plants, sadly. Although, a recent trade did bring australis spp. tenuipes back into my life again, thank goodness :). That was the only time I have seen that for sale at Lowe's and I haven't seen it since. I haven't seen hide or hair of nummularoides, either, but then again, I don't go to Lowe's that often. Every few months, if I am really lucky.

Brad AKA Moonwolf

• tlbean2004
    8 years ago

Did you kill both of them? lol

I saw the tenupes once but i passed it up a few months ago and when i went back it was gone. The only time i saw nummi was once and it was on clearance at wally world so i picked it up. Have not seen it even again.