Return to the Hoya Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Need Hoya ID please

Posted by greybird_keke MO (My Page) on
Tue, Dec 18, 12 at 17:35

I think this is a common variety, so maybe it won't need to be in bloom for someone to identify it.
Thanks, Nancy

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Need Hoya ID please

Not so sure about that. Could we pls. see another pix w/ a size reference for scale (your fingers near a leaf, or a pencil in the foreground)?

I'm asking 'cause w/out any size reference, those leaves look rather slender to me, which w/ that variegation MIGHT make it not all that common.

o

That looks like my variegated kentiana, but I'm relatively new to hoyas so I wouldn't swear to it since other hoyas also have skinny leaves. Was it pricey - where did you find it?

o

I have to agree that it appears to be Hoya kentiana. The variegated form of this species is still pretty new on the scene and it's anything but common.

Nice plant!

Mike

o

Thanks everyone, the leaves are about 3 1/2x 1/2", and it's in a 4 inch pot. I picked it out of a tray of carnosa and paid $4.99 for it.

o

Greybird,
I would say you got great deal, and it looks like H. kentiana. Where did you find it (nursery or big box store)? Happy growing, it looks great!

Aggie

o

Thanks Aggie, I got it at a nursery...one of my favorites, because they always have well grown plants in smaller pots for a good price.

o

Hi greybird, welcome to the forum. I love your variegated Kentiana!! I grow the all green variety. Would you mind telling us what state you live in? And possibly nursery name? I'm sure others would really like to know also. So welcome and good luck with your beauty.

o

Thank you, Teisa! I live in Southeast Missouri, and got the kentiana at a nursery near St. Louis called Bayer's...one of my favorite places to stop when I'm in the area! I grow all my plants under lights in the winter, mostly begonias and succulents. I have two other Hoyas at the moment, a kerrii and obovata 'silver spot'.

o

Well I'm glad Mike confirmed its ID & that it's not common. Happens I've never seen that & while I don't grow green Kentiana, I have seen it. I've certainly never seen this Hoya around (am crazy for variegates, would buy it if I did).

Welcome Greybird (I like your 'handle'). Any chance you could return to the nursery to check if there are any more of these? If so, & you're willing, could you pls. buy some for us & I'd swap you for some in the Spring?

Nice plant, enjoy!!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hoya Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here