Return to the Hoya Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Hoya ID help!

Posted by Asterope none (My Page) on
Tue, Dec 18, 12 at 20:27

Hello fellow Hoyans :)

Wondering if anyone can help me out with an ID for a hoya from which I took some cuttings? It looks like an australis but the leaves are obovate. The new growth is pubescent on both sides and a deep bronze colour. The mature growth is pubescent on the underside and the leaves rather glabrous.

It looks a lot different to my australis melanesica and brookfield, but the venation is similar.

I have seen one like this in the NP near my home (which leads me to guess its an australis - because they grow everywhere!) but have not been able to reach to feel the leaves, nor seen the flowers.

I got these cuttings from a neighbours plant (which was looking very sorry for itself!) and the only information she could give me was that it was her grandmothers ;)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Hoya ID help!

Underside of mature leaf

o

Hi there,

Sorry, no idea what NP means, but that pic looks like Hoya obscura to me & your mention of bronze colored new leaves also suggests that to me. That particular leaf featured is shaped very much like Obscura, sorry I don't recall the underside.

o

Hi Asterope

Your plant appears to be Hoya australis and your description of the leaf surface helps confirm that. The leaf shape of Hoya australis subsp australis is described as being apically rounded and apiculate and this does describe the leaf in your photo very well. Generally your description of an obovate leaf would be accurate except in this case the leaf tip is not rounded. Obovate means egg shaped so there always needs to be that rounded leaf tip with a narrower leaf base.

The mention of new growth that is bronze colour often hints at a specific subspecies of Hoya australis but I now know this is not the cases after reading the Liddle and Foster article published in Asklepios 102, Oct 2008. Apparently some plants from all subspecies can show bronze coloured new growth so it is not as useful as once thought.

I have a Hoya australis subsp australis and it looks very much like your plant although it is not a large leafed plant at all. I would say that it's leaves are only about 2 inches long. Can you measure the leaf of your plant for us?
My plant grows as a shrub at first and then shoots up long vines with much more widely spaced leaves. This is a very nice form of Hoya australis in my opinion.

What part of Australia are you in? Maybe we can get some help from fellow Australians, concerning the subspecies of this Hoya that are found in your area.

Mike

o

H. australis ssp australis is found in south eastern Queensland. In fact it ranges right up through central coastal Quensland and is quite common. Often seen in more open areas with light canopy but also in rainforest in rocky places where it's more open to the sky.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hoya Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here