Return to the Hoya Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Help me ID my hoya please :)

Posted by amelianz none (My Page) on
Fri, Dec 7, 12 at 21:08

HI all,
I have in the last few years inherited two Hoyas from my deceased grandma, one of which I quickly identified as carnosa (pretty sure ;) and have just had to transplant it as it was seemingly becoming hollow and brittle on some stems to roots and generally unhappy. I have cuttings and feel it should bounce back. My inherited house plants have seen me go mad with house plant and now specifically Hoya fever :S

BUT this photo is of my thinner leafed, charcoal/black w crimson inside flowered Hoya! I have just got hooked on the forum and was trying to find out if it was 'Black dragon'? because it certainly is black! I am not sure whether certain spears are black w black leaves or they turn green later, I think there is a mix of that going on? Its really going for it now its summer ( I live in NZ and it is kept inside beside a window) I have moved it into slightly more shade as I think the sun was starting to burn it! Three clusters of flowers and two more buds on the way. My grandma would have had this darker one for at least 10 years probably longer. Mum said the Carnosa is probably older than me (haha 25) :D

Sorry the photo is so bad, no camera atm. Hopefully you guys can help me :)
Kind regards,
Amelia :)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Help me ID my hoya please :)

Your plant is a variety of Hoya pubicalyx, figuring out the cultivar name isn't really important as they all require the same care. If I had to guess I would say Hoya pubicalyx 'Royal Hawaiian Purple'.
Hoya pubicalyx is a close relative of Hoya carnosa, pubicalyx coming from the Philippines where as Hoya carnosa is from China.
Hoya pubicalyx 'Black Dragon' is a new introduction that was collected in the wild and not simply a horticultural variety. It has only been available for a few years so it's not a common plant at all. The leaves of this one are always solid green unlike many of the other Hoya pubicalyx varieties.

Mike

o
RE: Help me ID my hoya please :)

I think it's a nice photo, Amelia. You certainly have some gorgeous blooms there. I would be super happy to get such charcoal-y flowers out of my publicalyx. :)

Your description of the leaves as starting out dark also fits with Mike's RHP postulation. This plant is known for lots of chocolate and wine colored leaves.

As Mike says, Black Dragon's leaves are pretty but a very boring flat green. It might not even turn out to be a publicalyx. Also, it doesn't always bloom black either, as some of us have been disappointed to discover. Bloom color can fluctuate wildly depending on the plant's conditions.

If you really do have a RHP, it's a very interesting plant in this respect and often shows vivid watercolor splashes of various colors on single flowers, or very different colored blooms right next to each other.

Happy growing and thanks for sharing your Hoya story with us!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hoya Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here