Return to the Hoya Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Disappointed

Posted by tropicbreezent (My Page) on
Thu, Dec 27, 12 at 21:54

My Hoya australis ssp rupicola has only produced one flowering peduncle with 2 more peduncles probably going to flower in a couple of weeks (or more). And after setting them up so nicely to feel completely at home!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Disappointed

I wish I could be disappointed in the same way. How would you describe the scent?

o

p.s., That's a great picture!

o

Thanks Restoner. The scent is like a real sweet talc.

o

Beautiful! I love the way the hard curve of the petals gives them a narrower appearance.

It's true, sometimes the plants we invest the most time in are so ungrateful! Luckily it works the other way too, with haphazardly handled plants treating us to unexpected shows... >_>

o

Some of the australis ssp are stingy bloomers. I don't grow rupicola, but I do grow ssp australis and ssp tenuipes. Tenuipes is a generous bloomer whereas my very old ssp australis only gives me an occasional blooming peduncle. And it took it over 10 years to even hint at blooming! Wazup with that??

Denise in Omaha

o

Some of the australis ssp are stingy bloomers. I don't grow rupicola, but I do grow ssp australis and ssp tenuipes. Tenuipes is a generous bloomer whereas my very old ssp australis only gives me an occasional blooming peduncle. And it took it over 10 years to even hint at blooming! Wazup with that??

Denise in Omaha

o

Thanks for the comments. I tried to simulate it's natural conditions by building up a high rockery. Between the rocks I put gravel and sand to fill the gaps. Plus some very old weathered charcoal. But I suspect the rock and gravel I used was a type of dolerite. The stone in its natural environment is sandstone which makes for a very low pH. The dolerite produces a higher pH. Perhaps that's why the Hoya isn't responding as well as what I'd hoped. Guess I'll just have to wait and see if it will come good in time, or maybe I'll just have to rebuild with better selected materials. I wish this learning curve would flatten out a bit, LOL.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hoya Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here