Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hoyalove

Variegated Hoya Kerrii pink spots: HELP!

HoyaLove
10 years ago

Hello, I am looking for help for my H.Kerrii because since last week it shows reddish pink spots on leaves around the green tissue.
Does someone knows what this mean or saw another case like this??
I keep her always moist, lots of filtered light, about 15Celsius indoors(this is winter here), feed with micronutrients in low mineral water pH5-6(because I suspected it could be lack of nutrients) but it keeps getting worse. I do not want to loose her...

Comments (14)

• pirate_girl
    10 years ago

Sorry, but I think that's rot setting in & discoloring the leaves. When I've grown this w/ the white edges, it had no pink highlights, I wonder if that's actually brown (& rot, sorry).

Pls. read up on Hoya care, esp. Kerrii, which I believe needs to dry out btwn waterings. I think keeping it moist is the problem, bring rot w/ it.

I can't see the mix or the pot (am assuming a plastic pot inside the white one, & that the plastic one would have holes).

Mix which isn't fast draining or porous will add to the problems when you're keeping it moist. What kind of mix are you using pls? This all matters to why it's ailing. Also, pls. stop fertilizing it, an ailing plant can't really use fertilizer esp if it's slowing down for winter growth.

If it were mine, I'd remove it to check for root rot & then change to a fast draining mix. Good luck!

• Denise
    10 years ago

I think it's perfectly normal. A lot of variegated plants have pink highlights on the newest leaves - the pink fades as the leaves age.

However, PG is right about NOT keeping Hoya kerrii moist. It is one Hoya that needs to dry out between waterings. But otherwise, it looks perfect to me.

Denise in Omaha

• pirate_girl
    10 years ago

Hiya Denise,

I know a lot of Hoya variegates can have pink highlights that mature to white, I just handn't known Kerris did that too.

So let me back up & apologize & defer to Denise. Since she's recognizing this coloration, clearly she knows this one better, sorry if I alarmed you.

• Denise
    10 years ago

Hiya Karen! Yes, mine has gotten some pinkness to it at times, when it's getting stronger light. Do you still have yours? I wonder how many you ended up losing during the Sandy debacle?

Denise in Omaha

• pirate_girl
    10 years ago

Hey Denise,

I tried to post this several hrs. ago, but think GW was having trouble. So I'll try again ...

Speaking of pink leaves on H. variegates, look what I found yesterday, on just a Krimson Queen, but still one we all know & many love, so pretty.

Snowed here yesterday, several inches, so a splash of
    color is extra nice.

I no longer have my green & white Kerri (which was hydro); you & I had discussed some of these are unstable & make strange growth, mine pooped out maybe a year ago last Summer.

Thanks for asking abt my losses w/ Hurricane Sandy, it was (IIRC) sadly, lost 7 of the 11 Hoyas w/ which David had gifted me. Am happy to say the Macrophyllas made it. A couple of the other large leafed ones too. Sadly the loss included a couple of cuttings I'd successfully re-hydrated. Oh well!

Glad to say I still have my all green Kerrii which also grows Hydro in Leca stones & bloomed 2.5 yrs. after cutting.

Happy to report Denise that both Sans cylindrica leaves you'd shared w/ me have taken off. Hope you saw I posted some of that, likely as Sans. forum (thanks again).

Hey HoyaLove. Hope you don't mind us using your thread to chat & catch up, we're old C&S & Hoya buddies.

Anyway, glad Denise knew that your plant is fine, enjoy.

• Denise
    10 years ago

I just love the new red/pink leaves or when Hoyas take on color in the winter, like obscura. Sometimes, it's hard to find that happy medium of light that gives them some red tones, but not so much that the leaves wash out (a look I don't care for...even if it DOES mean more flowers.)

Denise in Omaha

• pirate_girl
    10 years ago

What was that about the pink leaves ;>) I hadn't realized I had this one either. It's new (as you can see); common but forever lovely.

never gets old (to me anyway)

• Denise
    10 years ago

There aren't a lot of species that will color-up for me this far north, which is probably why they fascinate me so much. Here's a few of mine from over the years...
    Not just a really red leaf, but kind of a weird one form 'KQ'...

H. obscura...

H. pubicalyx 'Royal Hawaiin Purple' doesn't do this often enough for me...

Another variegated that will sometimes get some pink edges is H. verticillata variegata (which I often see called parasitica...), but I don't seem to have a photo of that one. So, HL, I would relax and enjoy the pink tones - they're highly desirable and will soon fade to just cream color as the leaves age.

Denise in Omaha

• HoyaLove
    Original Author
    10 years ago

My beloved Variegated Hoya Kerrii when she arrived was like this on left, very good looking!

• Denise
    10 years ago

Both photos look great. And more light is good, as long as it's not so much it burns. The pink is nice. And congrats on the new growth. It means it's happy!

Denise in Omaha

• Sagar Banerjee
    2 years ago

thanks all of you i had the same problem when i repotted it with soil... when I bought it, it was soil less.. only coconut fibres......... now i get this... the problem is the moisture am i right @hoyalove?

• Pepeuve Garcia
    2 years ago

I gave it to the girlfriend of my son Curro (Ana) when he only had one page. I always advise "direct sunrise sun" or filtered sun

• Pepeuve Garcia
    2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

Variegated: They are two colors. Green and white / cream.

Incipient leaves: Pink in color, when they finish the growth process they are white / cream in color. And brown / red / chocolate color when they finish the growing process they are Green.

Sponsored
Prime Custom Kitchen & Bath
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars43 Reviews
DC Metro's Award Winning Custom Design, Build, and Remodeling Company