Return to the Hoya Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Hoya Obovata

Posted by cyclonenat New Zealand (My Page) on
Sat, Dec 4, 10 at 23:19

Just bought a Obavata are they easy to grow it was reasonable size too.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Hoya Obovata

Yeah, I think they're easy.
Stiff, heavy plant with long internodes.

Josh

o

I have the H.Obovata, H.obovata 'speckled', H.obovata variegated, and H.obovata x carnosa and none of them have given me any problems.

o

will add pics when it stops raining

o

LadyGreensleeves,

I had a plain Obovata for a number of years & just loved it; one of my favorites. I hope to get a replacement. May I pls. ask where you got such an assortment of Obovatas? I thought it came as speckled & plain, I hadn't yet heard it now came in variegate. I'd love to get one of those too.

o

Karen,

I've seen photos of the variegated obovata but have never seen it available except on eBay, and you know how high they can go there! I got the obovata x. carnosa from Carol last year and it's a really nice plant. It picked up the best characteristics from both plants - the leaves are round, but less succulent, but what's really nice is that the stems are thin and trainable like carnosa, so it can be grown compact.

Denise in Omaha

o

Hi Karen,

I got the variegated obovata just last month on eBay,for what I thought was a resonable price of $12.50....the obovata x carnosa came in a trade as did the speckled obovata. My plain one I think I got from Gardino's. It's large enough for a cutting and has bloomed several times. If you would like remind me early this coming spring and I will root a cutting for you.

Regina

o

here are the pics

Photobucket

Photobucket

o

Could this be a hybrid, perhaps?
It is lovely, but it looks more pliant than mine.
Maybe just because it's young.

Thanks for the pics.

Josh

o

Im not sure it was labelled at the shop as obovata so yeah stupid shops always cut the vines off, its probably in shock a bit at the moment coz it was in a warm shop now its outside lol

o

Hi
I could be wrong but it dose not look like obovata but maybe australis.My obovata has more round leaves but like josh said maybe its still young.

Cindy

o

I think that's australis ssp. tenuipes. If I was forced to choose between obovata and australis ssp. tenuipes, I'd choose the australis. It's not as common and it's a tidier grower. Though I'll suggest you should grow it against a trellis because it wants to climb like crazy!

Denise in Omaha

o

I have to agree....looks more like an australis and will need a trellis or something to climb on.

Regina

o

What about this one?

Photobucket

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hoya Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here