Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
moonwolf_gw

What's On Your List For Next Year?

moonwolf_gw
13 years ago

Hi everyone,

So far, the hoyas I'm wanting to add both 'Dragons' to my collection. Like I said before, I fell in love with 'White Dragon' but I love both. I wanted to ask the people who got the Dragons, how have they grown for you?

As for an update, all are doing well except for obscura, compacta, wayetti and motoskei. Compacta and wayetti are having mealybug problems (to the point where I might have to throw them out) and obscura and motoskei look like they're dying off. I can't explain obscura but motoskei I cut up and stuck in a new pot and I guess it didn't root. I have it in a clay pot. The base leaves are nice and thick but the upper leaves are dying off and wrinkled. If I only had some VF-11 on hand. On the bright side of things, I think I found a peduncle on my Pink Silver!

Brad AKA Moonwolf

Comments (10)

• soniarj
    13 years ago

Hello Brad and all!!
    I still could not have a problem with pests in Hoya. Wish your problem to end.
    My list for next year is:
    Campanulata, macg, archboldiana red and pink, and megalanta megalaster,
    Happy Christmas to all!
    Kisses and hug all.
    sonia polonio

• klyde
    13 years ago

Okay, be patient here. I've not heard of 'Dragon' and 'White Dragon'? Details man, details. Spare nothing.

Hmmm list. H. sigillatis although I hear it's a challenge and a half, so maybe not if you all agree to that. Pimenteliana (what the heck is it called now? Got a doozer cold and I'm hopped up on meds). H. lacunosa
    'Ruby Sue'. What else should I pine for people? What's small and reliable with pretty leaves in case it decides to never ever bloom...

You have my absolute sympathy and understanding about mealies. You poor sod. Now imagine that, and not having access to BATS...heck, poor you and poor me. Time for another decongestant...

Kelly aka Klyde in Victoria

• moonwolf_gw
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Kelly, the Dragons I'm refering to are kinds of Hoya pubicalyx that SRQ Hoyas had for sale earlier this year. There is one called Black Dragon (with black flowers) and White Dragon (with white flowers). I may have to send Joni an e-mail asking when she'll have them available again.

Brad AKA Moonwolf

• peanut01
    13 years ago

Good question Brad.

My list for next spring isn't too long at this time.

I still want Obscura, Sigillatis, Caudata, Cummingiana, Cinnamomifolia, and 'Pink Splash'. I am more in the process of thinning out rather than adding to my collection. I finally understand the desire for small cuttings rather than full baskets of plants. It would be so much better to have 300 small starts rather than the 50 to 100 full larger plants that I have.

Surprisingly I do not have any H.Publicalyx or H.Australis yet.

-David

• greedygh0st
    13 years ago

I have an ongoing wishlist, but I feel pretty satiated at the moment (let's see how long that lasts ~5 minutes?).

But, since you asked, I am posting a picture of Hoya publicalyx 'Black Dragon' taken just now. It has been growing quite swiftly. It lost a leaf at some point, due to that pot drying out too fast for me, but otherwise it's been robust. This one grows faster than any of my other publicalyxes (is that how you pluralize it?). I photographed it next to sp. Philippines #10, which I received at the same time, so you have a comparison. They were both similarly sized when they arrived. I believe maybe the publicalyx had one more leaf.

#10 lost a leaf too, I believe and grew a new one, and it has an invisible (in this picture) new leaf developing, so it's not been as stagnant as it looks.

• patrick51
    13 years ago

G.G....I love that Philippines #10...gorgeous leaves!! Please post again in a year or so, I'd love to see a mature specimen. Thanks in advance!! Fondly, Patrick

• debbie_ny
    13 years ago

I love the dragons...actually all of the pubicalyx are my favorite! My dragons didn't do much at first, but I pinched a leaf or two off and now I'm getting new growth....doing very well considering their very long journey!

• geosdee
    13 years ago

Well let's see, Iam really wanting glabra, paulshirleyi, and purple star from Forest Treasure if Joni does another order.

GG - My 'Black Dragon' is doing really well also. Hopefully one of us that received the Black Dragon will get a bloom this summer.

Dee

• greedygh0st
    13 years ago

Patrick: Thanks, they are pretty little leaves. I'll definitely post a picture in a year after it is more established.

Dee: I can't wait till one of us gets a bloom. It feels different when the bloom belongs to someone here, versus a random internet photograph. As though we have joint ownership of the event - kind of like when your neighbor's flowers work their way into your yard.

• mdahms1979
    13 years ago

I don't have much room left for more plants but I would like to add a few more Hoyas. Hoya pandurata, Hoya obtusifolia and another imbricate leafed Dischidia are the most likely candidates if I do order in the spring.

Mike

Sponsored