Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
blackcat333

Is anyone interested in a spring plant swap?

33Cat
19 years ago

I'd be willing to host it here in Orange County if we could get enough people together. I saw they're having an Ohio swap at the end of May, and around that time seems good to me.

Let's discuss and get ideas.

Cat

Comments (21)

• Wayne_NY
    19 years ago

Count my bride and myself in.... And we're willing to host one in Dutchess County as well...

This is what it is all about!!!!

Wayne

• klavier
    19 years ago

Wayne,
    Where in dutchess are you? I am in Beekman. Have you ever gone to a Hudson Valley Iris and Day Lily society meeting at the Poughkeepsie Galleria? It is not just for Iris and Day Lily lovers. there are people there who don't grow any iris or daylilies. Alot of the members are into shade gardening and natives. We have "Open garden" tours in the spring. My garden will be open memorial day weekend for the iris bloom. It is a great way to get new plants. We often raffle off our excess or trade with each other or you can buy plants at our annual plant sale in august (That is the best time to transplant iris around here).

• Wayne_NY
    19 years ago

We're in Lagrangeville, near the Route 82/55 intersection...

Tell me more about the Garden Club. When are the meetings??

W

• klavier
    19 years ago

The meetings are once a month on a sunday at the galleria in poughkeepsie. The meetins are usual held March through November so there are no meetings now, but they would be really good wintersowing parties! Visit this site: http://www.hvids.org/
    Contact Mr. Jerry Murphy (president)and he will put you on the mailing list so you will recieve a detailed post card each time we have a meeting. We always have guest speakers and developed discussion on everything from iris genetics to deer deterant.

• lianeny
    19 years ago

Cat --

Orange County would work for me -- I'm in southern Ulster. I've been Winter Sowing like crazy -- I'm sure to have lots of extras!

When were you thinking of having the Swap? June 4th (the first Sat. in June) is the Ulster CCE/Master Gardener Plant Swap in Kingston, which I plan to attend.

Great idea!

LianeNY

• lisa2004
    19 years ago

Hi, are you still planning to do this? It would be great for me (since I live just up the road, LOL) Please let me know...I definately have stuff I could trade.

• 33Cat
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Haven't checked back here in awhile, and my spring/summer is turning busy already, but maybe we can do an informal Orange County swap? BBQ, pot luck, and plants? Anyone with ideas or interest, please post something.

I've winter sowed TONS (although who knows when they'll start sprouting due to this !@#%&! weather!).

Lisa, if you ever want to stop by, e-mail or give me a call.

Cathy

• leapobp
    19 years ago

Lianne, can you tell me about this? thanks.
    June 4th (the first Sat. in June) is the Ulster CCE/Master Gardener Plant Swap in Kingston,
    lesley

• gms
    18 years ago

I would also love to join a plant swap! I'm located in the Town of Newburgh.

Geneen

• hosta_miser
    18 years ago

Is this thing on? I am interested! Will have lots available as I am cutting back on my gardens because of my work load. The weeds are going nutso!

Also, BTW-the Hudson Valley iris and Daylily Society no longer meets at the Galleria (insurance problems). they now meet at Fellowship Hall, First Dutch Reform Church
    1143 Main Street, Fishkill, NY. Contact irisguy@optonline.net for info or visit the website below.

Here is a link that might be useful: Hudson Valley iris and Daylily Society

• ruth5_ny
    17 years ago

I live in Wappingers Falls and I went to a plant swap in CT last spring. I would love to have a plant swap in Dutchess County, with the cost of gas these days!
    I've got lots of campanula, gaillardia and some asters to swap. Probably more things as time goes on. If there is a Dutchess County swap, please give details.
    The one I went to in CT was very casual -- people came and put their plants to swap on tables. Everyone browsed for awhile and took what they wanted. It was hosted by a nursery, who provided meats (hamburgs and hot dogs) and buns. Everyone else brought side dishes and desserts. It was so fun and relaxing.
    I've seen other plant swaps listed where they have "rounds" where you pick a certain amount of plants, depending on how many you bring.
    I think it would work either way; I really enjoyed the one I went to, though, because it didn't feel like any "plant police," it was just fellow plant lovers trading away their extras with no strings attached.

• annette99
    14 years ago

Is this still happening? I'd be interested, have tons of perennials potted up. I'm in Ulster right near orange co.

• junkandspunk_optimum_net
    14 years ago

I'm very interested in a plant swap in Dutchess.I have lots to trade but am most interested in meeting other gardeners in the area.Is there one scheduled yet?

• jeannefox
    13 years ago

We are hosting one - hope you all can make it!

Plant Swap & Gardener's Potluck - Memorial Day - May 31, 2010, 10am-2pm, W.Rogowski Farm, 327-329 Glenwood Rd, Pine Island, NY 10969. www.RogowskiFarm.com

Pre-registration suggested - let us know what plants/garden tools/garden books you will bring to swap & what food items you will bring for the potluck.

• Chrissy Chris
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

I'm in northern Orange county and would be willing to host this. I should have a lot of seedlings- flowers and veggies - to offer bc I'm winter sowing a ton. I have a HUGE UGLY BLANK yard, and haven't been able to landscape or garden bc of injuries. Hopefully, some folks are interested

• lisa2004
    8 years ago

Wow, this thread is 10 years old...but I'm still gardening! I'm also in northern Orange County (Minisink area). I don't have much to swap this time of year, but would definitely be interested in the spring. Maybe you should start a new thread.

• Chrissy Chris
    8 years ago

Welp, that's one;)

• luca94
    7 years ago

Hello -
    I've looked around for something area-specific and kept running into
    search results for swaps that happened years ago... So I decided to make
    an online place specifically for people in the NYC are to swap houseplants.
    Since so many people are all in one area and constantly moving in and
    out, I figured it would be nice to have an up-to-date place for
    listings! It's brand new though, and doesn't have a ton of listings
    yet, so please help us get the ball rolling by posting a plant or
    commenting in the forums :) It's at NYCPlantSwap.org
    Obviously I'm not trying to re-invent the wheel... there are plenty of
    other forums already out there such as this one for exchanges with
    people from all over the world. But I thought NYC could use its own
    dedicated spot for those of us that are just a subway ride away from
    each other. I hope people like it, so please let me know what you
    think!

• 33Cat
    Original Author
    7 years ago

I'm in northern Orange as well, and have tons of seedlings I've winter sown. I went a little crazy with the Swallowtail Gardens order this year, and I am just now starting to divide seedlings. Also, dividing hostas, light purple bee balm, echinacea, etc. If anyone wants to get together, I'd be interested.

• nonoyabusiness
    5 years ago

I used to be a NYBG member and twice a year they would host members only plant swaps. I got some of my favorite stuff there. No idea why they dicontinied it except that it conflicted with the rich, stuck up persona that they have been cultivating. So I quit. Now I live up in Ulster County and I went to the Master Gardeners plant swap this year hand had a lovely time! Just the lady in charge said that since Asian Jumping Worm as been sighted in Ulster County and is a terrible invasive, we should wash all soil off the roots prior to planting. So I did this but she didn't say what to do with the resulting bucket of mud and water. I emailed and asked in person about what to do but nobody has given good instructions (saying just dump it out is not good) so I poured in some dish detergent and am receptive to any suggestions here. So Did a plant swap develop as a result of this thread? If so I would like to participate...