Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
shakazulu_gw

WANTED: Gala Plant Exchange

Shakazulu
19 years ago

Since there seem to be quite a few of us in the Hudson Valley area, why don't we set up a physical exchange? Make an event of it, like an Independence Day Barbecue and plant exchange. People bing extras of what they have in their garden and poke around, meeting new people and getting new plants. It's a chance to learn more of the history of the plants you receive straight from the supplier as well as give you a feel for your trading partner. Who's interested?

Comments (10)

• 33Cat
    19 years ago

I might be interested depending on the date, but only if you're going to play the bagpipes! LOL I have a few things to get rid of, and I know my mother's garden needs thinning so I could steal from her as well.

Where are you? I know there are a lot more Hudson Valley based posters in other forums. So far they haven't shown up here, but maybe they'll eventually find us.

• 33Cat
    19 years ago

BTW, I saw your post about trees. I have Catalpa seedlings I started this spring, and my parents have a Butternut so maybe I can find some seedlings in their yard if you're interested.

• 33Cat
    19 years ago

They have a chestnut also. Ok, now I'm done! :)

• Shakazulu
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Haha! My thanks for taking such particular notice of my fancies. I'm in the far reaches of the Hudson Valley, the western part of Orange county. I don't consider it part of the valley at all. But calling it upstate seems equally a lie when I'm still in the southern tier. Then again, anything north of Rockland classifies as upstate to the city folk. Lovely part about here is I can play the pipes often as I like without fear of disturbing the neighbors. It's lovely to listen to it all echo off the hills.

Hudson Valley gardeners! I charge you to go forth and spread the word about this plant exchange! Let's get something good going on here.

• 33Cat
    19 years ago

I'm in Slate Hill, so we are probably pretty close.

I wish someone would come and dig up all the vibernum that have reseeded all over my yard! And the poison ivy, of course!

They just had an Upstate NY forum swap. It seemed to have gone well.

• DeeOliver
    19 years ago

I would love it - at this point all I have to exchange would be hostas - lots of em, and strawberry plants. Will be rooting some rose cuttings too, and could probably dig up some lilacs.

I'd be happy to get rid of rosa multiflora - but I'm sure everyone has enough of it :)

Dee

• hosta_miser
    19 years ago

I'm a little slow. Just noticed the exchange section. I would be interested in such a thing! Might get a better response if it was asked in the main HV forum though.

Joel

• lisa2004
    19 years ago

Hey, just saw this now...a bit too late! Did you ever get anything going? I'd love to do it in the spring!

• lagrangeny
    19 years ago

....good idea. The bagpipes....not such a fine idea.

• leapobp
    19 years ago

i from lagrange and i would be interested thanks.

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting