Return to the Hudson Valley Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Free compost in So Westchester?

Posted by markdpelhamny 5 (My Page) on
Fri, Jan 4, 08 at 12:59

Can anyone recommend sources for free compost? I plan to start making my own but will need several cubic feet to start my garden come spring.

I'm new to the area - I would also be interested in recommendations for garden centers and nurseries in Southern Westchester or the Bronx - I've been to Nabell's in Mamaroneck and Sprainbrook. I'm interested in organic gardening and landscaping/lawn care, and plan to start a vegetable garden with the Square Foot Gardening method this Spring.

Thanks,
Mark

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Free compost in So Westchester?

Free? You could check the local land fill, I've gotten composted leaves from one but you can't count on it being organic, it's just leaves and maybe grass clippings. I used to be able to get free mushroom compost (from the plant across the road which no long exists) and free horse manure by just cleaning out a stall or two. Lately, most places want to sell the stuff. Good luck with your search.

o

Mark, Any luck with the compost? I am in Tarrytown and I too am starting a Square Foot Garden.

o

Best to answer your own questions around here, apparently. On May 16 they will be giving away compost and selling compost bins at cost for $20 and $40.

Here is a link that might be useful: Westchester compost give-away

o

If anyone had the answer, it would have been posted, obviously. As I am in Dutchess county, I don't keep track much of what goes on in southern Westchester or north Bronx. Thanks for providing the update.

o

I think that is last year... the date says WED MAY 16th
that is last year's date.

i am writing to find out what the new date is.

o
re: free compost in so westchester?new date

Compost Bin Sale Day
Saturday, May 17, 2008
9 a.m. - 2 p.m., Rain or Shine
Saxon Woods Park & Pool
White Plains, N.Y.

o

• Posted by ppod 6 SE NY (My Page) on
    Thu, Jun 25, 09 at 12:18

Though this farm wants a weekly hauler, interested folks can inquire if they could obtain a haul, or go to farm themselves and pick up.

I couldn't find the location of the farm, but I suppose members of the site have access to such information.

Here is a link that might be useful: Horse manure - free

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hudson Valley Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here