Return to the Hudson Valley Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Dutchess County Champion Trees

Posted by klavier z4 Bing, z5 Pou (My Page) on
Tue, Jan 10, 06 at 15:51

Anybody know the biggest trees of a particular species in the Hudson valley? I took some pictures of some of the big trees in Beekman this morning. As far as I can tell these of the biggest.
Image Hosted by ImageShack.us
This here is a very large oak growing just outside the town's Recreation Park
I don't know what kind of tree this is, but it is huge. It has bark that flakes.
This looks to me like a locust by the bark, but I couldn't say for sure until it gets leaves. These last two trees grow along the Fishkill Creek in the Historic Beekmanville hamlet. I am 6 feet tall.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Dutchess County Champion Trees

Beautiful trees!

As for the oak, that is a big one! There's a bunch of huge ones in Letchworth State Park in western upstate New York, though that doesn't count as the Hudson River Valley. I posted a photo of one such oak in the Tree Gallery.

The flaky bark one is almost surely a sycamore.

Not sure about the last tree.

o
RE: Dutchess County Champion Trees

I've got some big sycamores but they are not long lived trees though they do grow very fast. There is a very big black walnut down the road from me (Town of Clinton) which has to be the biggest I've seen.
Cooperative Extension in Millbrook probably has a list of the big trees in the county.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hudson Valley Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here