Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
michael_in_chicago

Where would a gardener live if working in NY?

michael_in_chicago
17 years ago

I might be transferring from the Chicagoland area to New York (Manhatten). I currently live just outside the city (in Evanston), where I have a nice house, land to garden on, a tree-lined street where I have access to a pedestrian-oriented city (I can walk to the store, the train, the gym, etc.). I'd want something like this if I'm to work in NY.

I don't know the area at all outside the city. Where would I live where I'd have access to a train to take me into the city, but be far enough away to have a house and a garden? I can't estimate what my salary would be, but I really can't imagine giving up gardening! The shorter the commute, the better.

Thanks!

Comments (5)

• philomena
    17 years ago

Wow, that's a tough question as there are a thousand answers. There are locations within the outer boroughs (Queens, Brooklyn, Staten Island, the Bronx)were you can find a house with property enough for a garden, as well as the just about all the suburbs - Long Island, or Westchester, Putnam, Rockland, or Dutchess County, or even NJ - there will be many towns and villages in any of these areas that meet what you are looking for. It will all come down to how long you are willing to commute and what you can afford- and definitely, the shorter commutes generally mean more expensive areas. You would really need to know where in Manhattan you are going to work (many, many trains in and into the city)and what you can afford.

For example, I am in Dutchess County. While I don't have to commute everyday into Manhattan, when I do, I can take a train in, but it's about 80 minutes. However, lots and lots of people do make that trip every day - housing is much more affordable way up here as opposed to closer into the city.

So, you definitely have lots of options to find a nice house with space to garden, but there are a lot of variables to consider. But, I'm sure you will find the perfect place for you !

Philomena

• bklyn2pok
    17 years ago

Good question. I live in Dutchess county and commute daily to Manhattan by train. It's a bit of a ride (over 90 minutes) but the difference in housing prices allows me to have a modest yard to garden in, I couldn't get that at a reasonable price in Brooklyn or Queens.

The further away you get from NYC the more gardening space you get. Figure out what you want to spend for housing and then take a look at the real estate ads on the 'net.

• shaolin
    16 years ago

If you want to live in NYC proper - don't discount Staten Island! The rents and prices on houses are low (comparatively), the ferry is free and a nice, relaxing commute into Manhattan, and you can definitely get a great yard with plenty of room to garden. Plus there is an amazing public garden - Snug Harbor - to get inspiration from, and the greenbelt there is bigger than Central Park.

On the other hand - it's definitely not the hippest place to live. Not many shopping options, most of the restaurants are kind of family style, and if you pick the wrong side of the island - you could be living next to the world's biggest landfill! But if you are a homebody and the most important thing is a nice house and garden, you'll get the most for your money on SI. We lived there for seven years and had a huge garden in our backyard - vegetables, a cherry tree, hydrangeas, roses, magnolia tree, fig trees, a grape arbor... it was lovely.

We now live in Ulster County - which is gorgeous and a wonderful place to garden, but a very long commute. My husband takes the bus into Manhattan three or four days a week, and it's definitely not fun.

Good luck! Let us know where you end up!

• playsinthedirt20
    16 years ago

Hi Michael,

I don't know when you are moving, or if you already have. I live in Rockland County and commute to NYC. It's rough. There is only one private bus company and depending on when you leave, it can take 2 hours to get to mid-town. We're on the "wrong" side of the Hudson. It's easier to commute if you live on the same side of the river, such as Westchester. But there are also towns in Bergen County, NJ which are directly on the bus route into NYC, that are much closer than where I live. (as little as 1/2 hr. to 45 minutes) Some that I know that have nice town centers are Oradell, Westwood, Emerson, Ridgewood. Very expensive, though. You're going to have sticker shock coming from the Chicago area. Welcome to our area. I hope you find something that suits your needs.

• lulu_me
    16 years ago

Hi, I am in Westchester County, which can be pretty darned expensive. But there are enclaves that are affordable with decent size properties. You might check out Greenburgh, near Ardsley and Hartsdale. It's only 35 minutes on the train to Grand Central Station.

Good luck!

Sponsored
Kohlmark Flach Architects
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Kohlmark Flach Architects: Enriching Lives Through Purposeful Design