Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
klavier_gw

Winter sowing anyone?

klavier
19 years ago

Just started winter sowing this year. Just wondering if anyone else in the area has done so in the past and what success they have had?

Comments (7)

• 33Cat
    19 years ago

My first year winter sowing was last winter, and you really will have a lot of sprouts! The challenge actually comes around March and April when you start trying to get everything planted. I still have lupines and red oriental poppies I never got in the ground.

I think I had about 130 containers last winter, but I have over 200 different types of seeds this year, so who knows how many containers I'll end up with!

• klavier
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Wow, you really get into it. I only have three milk jugs of Ariseama Sikokianum set out as of now. I will be seting a new one out every time we polish off another gallon of milk!
    I am not as fortunate with seeds as you are, I only have a few varieties bu a lot of seeds. If this is as successful as people say it is I probably will end up selling many of the plants at a garage sale. I already have a larger nursery than necessary for back up so i find myself giving plants away in the fall. Maybe you might like to trade, anything you are looking for plant wise? I have never been to big on seed collecting and I am regreting it now.

• 33Cat
    19 years ago

I'm hoping to have a plant sale in the spring, too. Plus, a few people here have mentioned a Hudson Valley Forum plant swap. That would be pretty cool if we could get it going.

• klavier
    Original Author
    19 years ago

A hudson valley plan swap is a must! There are a lot of garden clubs in the area that could probably be brought into it as well. I know many of them have individual sales for the public but a swap for the members would be great. In the Hudson Valley Iris and daylily Society there isn't an official swap, but people often bring in there excess and raffle it off at meetings or just give each other the specific plants that we are interested in when we tour each others gardens.

• KGates
    19 years ago

I just started last week for the first time. Been out every Wednesday (recycling day) snagging all of the neighbor's milk jugs. Got 24 or so done so far... poppies, oregano, thyme, datura, gypsophilia. We'll see how this goes...

• tomtuxman
    19 years ago

I just did 4 different tomatoes this past weekend (Super Marmande, Roma, Black Krim, Bloody Butcher). Never did veggies before so I have all my fingers and toes crossed!

• 33Cat
    19 years ago

I went ahead and started my tomatoes, brussels sprouts, and scallions this weekend.

I've winter sown about 152 containers so far, and I still have tons of sunflowers, nasturtiums, zinnias, and other plants I like to save for warmer temps to do. Still not sure where they'll all go in the yard, but I'll figure it out!

Sponsored
Remodel Repair Construction
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Westerville