Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
linnea2

Whatever happened to the NYHS Flower show?

linnea2
18 years ago

Didn't there use to be one in NYC in March?

Online I can only find the one in Rochester and that's just too far.

Philadelphia is actually closer and that's in early March this year.

Did any of you go to that one in the last couple of years?

Is there anything else going on for cabin-fevered gardeners?

Here is a link that might be useful: PHS Flower show

Comments (9)

• susanzone5 (NY)
    18 years ago

I visit Adams Fairacre Farms all the time during the winter, for a spring pick-me-up. Right now they have spring bulbs blooming in pots, and primroses are on sale for 99 cents. The seed racks are up, too, and I'm having a nice time with that. There's this new cosmos 'click' that I'm trying this year, among other things.

Anyway, if you need a lift, visit Adams (Kingston, Newburgh, Poughkeepsie). It puts a smile on my face inside their greenhouse.

• nygardener
    18 years ago

The Horticultural Society of New York fell on hard times a while back and suspended its show. Boston has one too, right after Philadelphia's.

• linnea2
    Original Author
    18 years ago

"Seed racks are up", great! I'm going today, Thanks Susan.
    Getting ready for a second batch of winter sowing.

Seems like most things in NYC are falling on hard times, I can barely find supplies
    any more. Everybody's coming up here and raising the property taxes!
    Too bad, I'd have loved to go to a flower show. I doubt I can make it to Philly
    or Boston, but would appreciate a review if anyone else goes.

• oldroser
    18 years ago

Adams generally have their landscape shows the first weekend in March. Worth a trip and they throw in the cake and coffee. Mid-Hudson Rose Society will be back of a table at the Kingston show and Newburgh Rose Club will be in Newburgh.
    Stop by and say hello.

• lianeny
    18 years ago

Greetings!

Another option for the flower show deprived might be the annual flower show at Macy's Herald Square -- usually around mid-March.

I have to agree with everbody that Adams provides a great late winter / early spring fix, too....

LianeNY

• philomena
    18 years ago

This time of year I go to Adam's at least once a week :-) just for that fix ! The schedule for their garden shows this year are for Poughkeepsie, Feb 24th - 26th, and in both Kingston and Newburgh, its on March 3rd- 5th. I always got to both the Poughkeepsie and Newburgh shows - the flowers always smell fantastic, and the work they do to set up those little slices of heaven for just a couple days is amazing.

• susanzone5 (NY)
    18 years ago

Shoot...I'll be away for both shows. But I'll be in the Sonoran desert in Arizona for two weeks, so that's a good fix for winter blues...Mexican gold poppies, penstemon, saguaro and other cacti, and 70 degrees and sunny...very lush desert, but no rain this winter so the flower show won't be as nice as last year. They have hummingbirds in the mountain canyon forests.

The older I get, the more I could do away with winter (except I love a good snowstorm).
    Sorry for the ramble.

• joyce58
    18 years ago

We have been to the Philadelphia Show the past two years and it was splendid! Fabulous!
    You need to get a 2 day "super-pass" because there is so very much to see. I can't begin to tell you how awesome the show really is !~You will be astounded !~
    Also the demos and lectures are the best and the vendors are terrific as well. I am getting ready to book our hotel ...The packages for hotels ( within walking distance) usually include 1 or 2 day passes to the show as well as breakfast.
    There is also a show in Hartford and one in Providence the last week end in Feb. We have not been to either but after asking about those two on Garden Web forums, I think we will stick with Philly ....!!!!

• robbiezone5
    18 years ago

i've run across ads for the grammercy garden & antiques show in nyc (at the lexington ave. armory). it is this weekend (march 3-5). the web site says that is is in the 7th year. i've never been there, though. in fact, i've never been to a real garden show.

this past weekend, i saw a listing in our upstate paper for a new york state flower show at the new york state museum in albany. we went --- but it was not at all what i had expected... it seemed to consist primarily of bouquets of small floral arrangements, by local florists, that were set up in and around the displays of new york state history --- often creating perplexing (and inadvertently amusing) juxtapositions of contemporary bouquets of flowers dropped into the historical narrative of the scene. there really wasn't much information on gardening, but we still at a good day at the museum...

Here is a link that might be useful: Gramercy Garden Antiques Show