Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
deeoliver_gw

Weather

DeeOliver
18 years ago

Hi folks,

I suppose I shouldn't complain about how warm it's been here in Saugerties (lower heat bill, less worry about my goats and their kids, nice long walks in the woods) but I'm wondering what impact this winter "heat wave" will have on my garden this spring.

It seems that my roses do much better when we've had a lot of snow cover during the winter months - I've only lived up here seven years, so would love to hear from those of you who can remember what happens to your gardens after extremely mild winters.

I finally did some winter sowing - yesterday, because it looks like we might get some winter weather in the next week or so, was afraid to have sprouts too early.

Are we going to get winter? Will it snow in May (lol)?

Dee

Comments (3)

• klavier
    18 years ago

Roses should do better in mild winters. It is the cold that damages them, which is why it appeared as if snow helped them, becasue the cold dry winds didn't reach the parts covered with snow. Covering your roses during the winter is a good idea around here. As for warm winters, some plants do better than others. Bulbs are more likely to rot, or start growing and then get damaged when the cold returns, but conifers and other evergreens, tend to fare better during the warm winters. Plants that mainane some green on them all winter long (some daylilies, hellebores, beebalm) also fare better, as will your lawn. Siberian iris tend to look weak after a warm winter. It is all natural. Just as in a very cold winter, some things do better than other. Plant variety, and you will never be disappointed.

• oldroser
    18 years ago

My snowdrops are flowering - almost three weeks ahead of the usual date. The iris reticulata are up and so is the leucojum which, in theory anyway, is a summer snowflake.
    One problem with this mild winter is going to be bugs. Including deer ticks. And Japanese beetles.

• linnea2
    18 years ago

Almost halfway through February, more seasonable weather now
    doesn't seem like much of a hardship.
    After all, it's just another month and a half til spring.

I'm hoping for another cool, wet one. The lilacs bloomed for many weeks
    last year and so did the bulbs.
    Hope all your early risers go back to sleep and revive in time.

Sponsored
BME Construction LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars20 Reviews
Loudoun County's Source for High-End Custom Decks & Outdoor Structure