Return to the Hudson Valley Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
getting ready for seeds

Posted by simon5136 z6.5 NY (My Page) on
Tue, Feb 8, 05 at 10:08

In exactly four weeks, I'll be planting my annual seeds in my garage, (under lights) so they will be ready for transplanting early in May. I'm ready! Convolvus, nasturtium, cosmos, wave petunias, tomatos etc. Mostly Park Seed (Thompson and Morgan is too expensive and not any better.)

I can't wait until the first of them break through in their trays.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: getting ready for seeds

I usually order from Select Seeds for whatever I can't find in a store or trade for here on Gardenweb. Next year I'll probably try another catalog since I think I've gotten just about everything I want from SS! This year I have over 200 varieties of seeds, so I'm thankful I discovered the Winter Sowing Forum. There's no way I could start them all under lights and keep up with them, too.

Isn't this a wonderful time of year? It's so full of expectation, and just the sight of grass showing under the melting snow makes me long for spring breezes and seedlings pushing their heads up out of the soil. But, we're supposed to get 3 inches of new snow tomorrow night so we'll be back to winter for awhile!

o

The birds know that spring is coming. They seem to be out in ever greater numbers, pirouetting around the trees and lining up to gossip on the fences.

o

I saw robins this weekend, up on a hill across from the Ashokan Reservoir. The birds are singing spring songs, and the deer (tracks in snow) are eating my birdseed! I sprinkled hot pepper on the seeds on the ground.

My garden gate is still frozen into the snow/mud so I have to dream. Against the south side of the house, daffodils are coming up.

Adams had a slide show of new annuals for this year. They grow all the plants in their greenhouse, even those in the white pots that say 'select growers.' Never knew that. Anyway, angelonia looked very good...new to me.

o

Can hardly wait to get out there and get muddy. Simon's got me thinking about expanding my seed-starting plans, which so far have been modest.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hudson Valley Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here