Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
nygardener

Ordering/starting seeds yet?

nygardener
16 years ago

I'm a little behind schedule, but will be ordering most of my vegetable seeds this week, and sowing flats in a few weeks. Anyone else gazing out over the snow and getting an early start on spring?

Comments (8)

• corapegia
    16 years ago

I, too, am late in ordering but at least I've gone through the seed box to see what I need. I have planted my spinach starts, missed the leek window and will order starts, want to start the chard, lettuce, etc today. Since it's snowing anyway. I've thought about a method I recently read about.. sprinkling seeds on the snow, like parsley and mache or other salad greens. I always get 'volunteers' of several greens, just never exactly where I want them. In about a minute it will be too late to do many things. I think you can tell when it's time when people start looking at this forum again.

• makalu_gw
    16 years ago

My problem is that I was way early in ordering this season and most of them arrived shortly after New Years. Of course, normally I'm late so I was ready to start planting! After staring at the seed packets forever, I finally caved and planted some perennial herbs - lavender, wormwood, roman chamomile, etc. a couple of weeks ago so I've had to get the grow lights set up since they went crazy and germinated.

As for the veggies, I'll probably start some cutting greens / lettuce this weekend, and then the peppers around the first day of spring so I don't have to pot up too many. Also, I planted a few shallot sets in 16 oz cups a couple of days ago to see if giving them a head start produces larger bulbs versus the ones planted last fall.

Watching the snow and listening to the thunder right now makes me really want mud season to start soon ...

• bklyn2pok
    16 years ago

Started buying and ordering seeds earlier this month. I'm thinking about extending my herb/veggie bed and planting more hostas.

I can't wait to get out and start playing in the dirt!

• nygardener
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Me too. I'll be happy when I can walk to the garden without spiked shoes to keep from slipping on the ice!

• corapegia
    16 years ago

I was just reminded this morning... only 3 weeks to SPRING! For whatever it's worth.

• 33Cat
    16 years ago

I'm so behind this year! Usually I have a hundred or so winter sown containers in the backyard waiting to sprout, but so far I haven't done anything except buy the potting soil and rifle through my seed boxes. I'll probably start next week so the first sprouts can go in the ground in mid to late April.

I haven't ordered any new seeds, either, but I'm planning on hitting Adams in Newburgh to get a few more packets. I guess 5+ shoeboxes full just isn't enough! LOL

• nygardener
    Original Author
    16 years ago

The mice cleaned out last year's stash, so I'm starting from scratch. I'll order this week. I think that younger seedlings will grow at least as strongly, and will be a bit more practical than a long season of indoor growing.

• corapegia
    16 years ago

I had a mouse dig up some of the sprouted spinach seeds I had planted. I was able to replant but it kind of left me a little disheartened. It reminded me the voles, rabbits and groundhogs are just waiting for me to plant them out where they can have a go at them. I need some sunshine. Enough of this rain/snow every day.

Sponsored