Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
karen713_gw

question about repellents...

karen713
19 years ago

I live on about 3 acres so of course I get my share of deer, rabbits and also the dreaded woodchucks. I might try trapping the woodchucks so they don't eat up my garden again this year, but what to do about the others? I was looking at repellents and they sell different ones for deer and rodents. Do I need to buy 2 different kinds? Last year I had a terrible time with both the deer and the rabbits. I try to plant things they don't like but they're palates aren't as finicky as the years go by! Any ideas?

Comments (8)

• susanzone5 (NY)
    19 years ago

My favorite spray is Deer Solution. It smells like cloves, is natural, sticks to plants after a mild rain, and is pleasant to use. It works for deer.

I also use rat traps for the rodents that eat my peas and strawberries (which I ripped out last year in defense).

Buzzing (battery operated) mole stakes work to deter underground root eaters.

Worse comes to worse, I use my 410 shotgun on anything but the deer. I have no shame.

• joyce58
    19 years ago

Hi Karen...
    We also have alot of wooded area around us ....wood chuck, rabbit and deer are abundant.
    For the deer, I hang small sacks ( that I bought cheaply on-line) with moth balls in them ( you can also use Milorganite)...They don't look so terrifc hanging in the azaleas, kousa, magnolia, rose of Sharon, etc. but the deer certainly keep away. You can also grate Irish Spring or Ivory soap all 'round plantings the deer might like.
    For the rabbits and wood chuck, I spray "Red Hot Pepper Spray"( from Pine Tree Gardens or Gardens Alive)...They don't really enjoy that too much..
    While none of these remedies are totally fool-proof, they work for me!
    Good luck!
    Joyce

• oldroser
    19 years ago

I tried all kinds of sprays and finally gave up and had a fence put up. I notice that one of my neighbors around the corner had his vegetable garden surrounded by a three foot fence for a couple of years and I wondered how that kept deer out. Guess it didn't because now the veggies have a 7.5 foot deer netting fence. He only fenced a small area because veggies are all he's interested in. Mine goes around 3/4 of an acre front and back with a double gate at the driveway in front and two small gates in back - one to the woods and one to get to the back door of the cellar and the creek. Hopefully the fence will also cut down on the number of deer ticks.

• LAA668984
    19 years ago

I just bought some red pepper repellent and some fox urine for my woodchuck problem. No idea if it will work or not, but I hope so. They ate so many of my seedlings last year! By the way, when do they come out of hibernation? I want to start putting the fox urine out when they first emerge so they leave before they start having babies.

• orcuttnyc
    19 years ago

I use deer netting on anything I want to keep.

• dogmom_NY
    19 years ago

Liquid Fence (organic and smelly) works very well--I use it on my hostas down near the pond (pretty far from the house) and the deer don't touch them. It would be too expensive, though, and time-consuming to spray everything with it. So this year for our 30' x 30' vegetable garden we're going to tack 12-foot-high deer netting to saplings we've cut down and stuck in the ground (hubby has a Kubota with a post-hole-digger attachment). We (and the deer-chasing dogs) are away from Monday a.m. to Thursday p.m. every week, so we need something dependable.

• susanzone5 (NY)
    19 years ago

Something small was eating my newly leafed out daylilies, crocus leaves, and hollyhock leaves. I threw around handfuls of dried blood and no animal has returned, not even the deer.

• awelty
    18 years ago

I use Tree Guard. It lasts 3+ months (Really! Does NOT wash off) and absolutely works. You can't use it on things _you're_ going to eat (vegetables, etc), though. You can buy it from on-line merchants, but I got mine from eBay for much less. Check out the URL, click on "more information" & watch the movie.

I have 2+ acres of tasty plants and 2 quarts is more than enough to treat them. Just a light spray is all that's necessary. One word of warning - you MUST clean your sprayer immediately after, or it'll be permanently clogged.
    --
    Awelty

Here is a link that might be useful: Tree Guard website & movie

Sponsored