Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
justjoeygirl

DO you have a dog walking deterent?

JustJoeyGirl
19 years ago

This is such a great forum for information, and many of my questions have been answered over the years. This spring I find that for some reason dog walkers seem to allow their dogs to leave large piles of you know what in my gardens that join up with the road. I have to get out there and weed and plant and divide and mulch and I am disgusted at the mess out there. Two spots in particular. The mailbox garden that runs the length of the driveway as a border and another that runs the other side of the property to the road as a large corner garden. There is so much waste there I don't think I can healthily go there and do any gardening. I have asked the immediate neighbors to be more mindful, and anyone I see with their dog stopping there..but I am not always around. Is there any deterent that any of you use that helps keep the dogs out of your gardens? I put a small fence across the front, but that didn't seem to stop them both from going over it, on it, and in front of it.. Thanks for any help....

Comments (11)

• orcuttnyc
    19 years ago

Try trip wire land mines.. ")

• giniene
    19 years ago

JoAnn, do you know if these dogs are unleashed, where they live and if there is an ordinance in your town against unleashed dogs? If so, you can call the dog warden for your town (the local police will have the number if you can't find it listed). This was happening to me every day, one dog in particular was making a mess all over the place. He even growled at me once when I tried to shoo him away from my pond, scared the heck out of me. The warden went to pay a visit to the owners and found out that the dog wasn't licensed and it wasn't even vaccinated for rabies! How dangerous is that? He slapped tickets on them and I have never seen that dog unleashed again. You can imagine how I feel when I leave for work at 6:30 a.m., 10 degrees outside and I see the dog being walked on a leash by the owners.

• sweetclg
    19 years ago

I'm having the same problem, and would be eager to hear any suggestions. In my case, the dogs are all on leash; their owners just choose to allow them to do their business in my side garden. I was out this morning removing the winter mulch and it was disgusting. To compound the problem, the garden abutts the back end of another property and because the neighbor lives quite far away, it has been used as the neighborhood toilet for years. People even empty their pooper-scoopers there. I'm fond of dogs, but in the summertime when I'm working in the garden, the fragrance of my garden has to compete with, well, less desirable odors, not to mention the adverse health impacts.

Some possible solutions I've considered-
    1. One of those one foot high, wrought iron fences with decorative spikes. In my community you need a permit for a fence, and it has to be set back a yard into the property, so it could still be a problem.

1. Calling the police and asking them to start handing out tickets for a few weeks. We have an ordinance that dictates that you must clean up after your dog.
      3. Using one of those chemical deterents. Only problem is that it won't stop the owners from emptying their scoopers there.

Any other suggestions?? I don't want to blow up me or my kids with the land mines : )

• orcuttnyc
    19 years ago

Have you tried 'no dumping', or 'curb your dog' signs?

• robbiezone5
    19 years ago

like orcuttnyc, i recommend some sort of sign. in the city when i walk my dog and see a "curb your dog" sign, i am always especially mindful to keep him from lifting his leg in these areas. try placing a few signs to see if that helps out. you can do a search on google for "curb your dog" + signs, something like that. or maybe they are sold in a local garden center? i just did a quick search on google, and found a web site that had some humorous signs -- if you want to take the funny road. the community where you live may have laws in effect. look into that. maybe they have "official" signs that can be placed around your property.

• JustJoeyGirl
    Original Author
    19 years ago

HI all, thanks for the responses.. the dogs are leashed and walked. I put in an inexpensive 18 inch fence. It did no go so far. It was moved once. They go on it, infront of it and over it. I try to talk to anyone I see walking their dogs. I guess a sign would be best. What gets me is there is a vacant lot diagonally across the street that has a lot of road footage..it is wooded with a stream..no one would mind so much if they did it there, yet they don't have the courtesy to walk on that side of the street.

• oldroser
    19 years ago

Foster & Smith and others sell a spray-on product that dogs don't like. The problem is that once it's established as THE place, dogs feel it is the right spot. Heavy powdering with lime might help - would certainly help with the smell. Plant a barberry hedge? How about razor wire?

• LAA668984
    19 years ago

I am always amazed at people, thinking its OK to allow their dog to do that on someone else's property, and just leave it there. People up the road from us used to walk their dog on one of those expandable leashes, and every day, they'd expand the leash so the dog could use my lawn as a potty. After a while, I'd had it and waited for them to come along with their dog for his daily potty stop. I went out there and told them that I'd appreciate it if they would pick it up, and handed them a shovel and a bag. They were very embarrassed, cleaned it up, and always reined the dog's leash in when passing my property after that.

• robbiezone5
    19 years ago

yeah, as long as the dog is leashed --- even if it is an "established spot" the dog owner should exercise control over the dog. i'm always mindful of where my dog lifts his legs. if i don't want him to lift his leg on something, i don't allow him. your problem is with the careless dog owners. let them know that you're doing a lot of work in your yard, and it's difficult with the dog poops. put up a sign -- honestly, you could probably just make one. if the problem persists you may have to contact your town -- particularly if there is a law about cleaning up after the dog. but... before doing that, try to make the dog owners aware of how their negligence is affecting you. be warm and nice. hopefully they will (literally) clean up their act. but if not, i'm sure once they are fined, they'll be more mindful.

• JustJoeyGirl
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Thanks, the problem seems to have subsided for now....I did mention it to a few people passing by..one fellow with a very large dog...both were intimidating looking, but I asked. He promptly pulled his dog across the street and said it wouldn't happen again...Well, it hasn't. I have a feeling it may have been him ( his dog). It is hard to be out there day and night. If you have the time, you'd be surprised what happens on your street...I've had the dogs on those extended leashes halfway into my yard...people coming into the yard to pick the flowers and best yet, the mom who sends her children to play in my front yard because it is flat and nice and she doesn't want the kids playing in her yard because their balls get into her garden and ruin it! ( Talk about nerve when I spoke to her about it)

I like the sign idea, I guess just any wood and some acrylics? Any ideas if I need something special to stand up to the weather? Thanks..

• robbiezone5
    19 years ago

hmmmm... i've never made a sign, myself. but i would suggest going to a hardware store and wandering around the aisles. who knows -- you may find someting in the plumbing section that does the trick. but, i would just spend some time at a hardware store, and wander around, brainstorming. ultimately, it's up to you to determine what materials work best for you and your yard. think about how high you want to place the sign. what size it should be. it should be visible to people walking their dog. i just did a search on google for "please curb your dog", and found this site: http://pedigreepress.safeshopper.com/specials.htm?410 -- i can't vouch for them, because i just found them on a google search, and i've never ordered anything from them. you could screw the sign to a piece of wood, cut to the size of the sign. then attach this to a stake. maybe a local hardware store has signs -- or if you ask, maybe they can order one for you? but if you're good with a paint and brush, you can make your own. maybe you could treat the wood with something -- like weatherproofing? let us know how it turns out -- maybe you can show us some pictures? good luck!

Sponsored