Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
justjoeygirl

Do you think it is still too early to uncover beds?

JustJoeyGirl
19 years ago

Yesterday I raked out the oak leaf layers that I keep on my gardens all winter. At least I started, I uncovered two so far ( I have 8 to do). I am thinking it is a bit early, but I have mixed beds and the crocus, and other spring bulbs are budding and blooming underneath the leaves. I know with all the snow the leaves really got pack down and I don't want the crowns of the perennials to rot, so I thought I should uncover them. The beds and borders I have are chocked full so just partially uncovering them isn't an option. I was just wondering if anyone has experience in raking through your gardens at this time of the year, and do you think is it still too early to do this? I feel like I may be rushing things, but I don't want to lose any of my favorites by not uncovering them. Thanks, JoAnn

Comments (7)

• oldroser
    19 years ago

It's a bit too early here - the ground is soggy and more snow is predicted for tomorrow. Snowdrops and daffs have pushed up through the soggy leaves and the perennials are still dormant so the wet won't bother them. It's supposed to rain and rain and.... Maybe the end of next week I'll get out there with a rake.

• makalu_gw
    19 years ago

I started to uncover things last weekend in a fit of spring fever and then just put the oak leaves back in place. Aside from some crocuses, daffodils and tulips that will grow through them, everything else at or underground seemed to be dormant so I agree with Oldroser that I'll wait until at least this weekend to start the clearing process. Based on the amount of frost heaving I'm getting this year, I'll take the chance on crown rot versus late winter kill and things just popping out of the ground.

• klavier
    19 years ago

I uncovered a few things today when I noticed that the perennials underneath were no longer dormant and were growing into a pale twisted mess. The iris don't seem to like being cover at any point in which the leaves may be wet instead of frozen.
    {{gwi:970987}}

• 33Cat
    19 years ago

I started raking off the leaves last weekend since I had lots of bulbs coming up. Even with the snow tonight, they should be ok.

• JustJoeyGirl
    Original Author
    19 years ago

I wasn't sure, I uncovered three....that's all I got to. Some of the perennials had anywhere from 1 to three inches of growth on them..the peonies too ( sedum, chrysanthemum, daisies, iris, lamium, garden phlox, etc). Many are still dormant. Do the older established perennials have the same problem with frost heave as the the newly planted perennials?

• klavier
    19 years ago

I have never had a problem with heaving in established perennials. The heaving is because the roots are not firmly planted in the ground and the freeze/thaw process squeezes them out. This is a problem only in weak or new plantings, especially iris, older plants usually hold a lot of dirt and reach down more than a few inches where the ground does no change in temperature as rapidly.

• JustJoeyGirl
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Thanks, looks like now that the snow is melting everything so far looks good. Wish I could say the same for some shrubs...lost two lilac shrubs completely and a few branches on a burning bush. Good luck everyone!

Sponsored