Return to the Hudson Valley Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Uncovering gardens

Posted by justjoeygirl z5 NY (My Page) on
Wed, Mar 22, 06 at 12:44

Hi All, Happy Spring. I began uncovering my gardens over the last few days. I know it is still cold at night, but I usually wind up damaging some of the foliage if I wait too long to uncover the beds. Mostly oak leaves ( whole, not shredded) and branchs that fell over the winter. I have found a number of flowering crocus, iris reticulata and some daffodils in bud under there..some of the perennials are on their way up too. I am hoping to add some ammended compost and mulch in early this year. I see many of the plants that are usually up when I uncover them are not yet. This kind of defeats my purpose of mulching early..I don't want to step on or cover the crowns of pre-emerging perennials....

When do you uncover your gardens? For those that uncover early, what have been your experiences? (Maybe I'm not early, I don't know, it is just early for me...I think I usually do them after the daffodils are beginning to bloom.)

I did find it easier to get the leaves and debris off, and I think it will be easier to mulch around them when they are still small. The cooler weather makes it easier too.

I hope it is ok to uncover when temps are still low, or else I shouldn't have planted early spring bulbs amongst my perennials..I'd never get to see them... What do you do?

Happy Spring..JoAnn

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Uncovering gardens

In the past I've waited too long to uncover my gardens (thinking that I was doing a good thing). However, underneath all the leaves my plants were trying to grow and ended up yellow and unhealthy. This winter I didn't even cover them with leaves. I figure it's survival of the fittest. It was so much work taking off all those leaves every spring anyway. I see that I have lots of healthy-looking plants comming up, so most of them must have made it.

o
RE: Uncovering gardens

I let nature cover the garden with leaves (too much work for me. haha.) I don't remove the leaves till late March, but I do like to help along the crocus leaves that are stuck. I like the way the early bulb flowers look against the leaves, moreso than bare soil.

Really, I don't think hardy perennials care. The downside to removing the mulch too early is the nightly frost/thaw heaves the soil everyday. That can uproot plants that should stay solidly frozen under that mulch.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hudson Valley Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here