Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
candyinpok

Flowers gone

candyinpok
16 years ago

Yesterday I had Iris reticulata, crocus and narcissus blooming. Today, all the flowers but two are gone. Some of the bulbs have been pulled out of the ground. Anyone else had this problem? Any suggestions for prevention?

Comments (12)

• corapegia
    16 years ago

I've had tulip leaves chomped (rabbit I think) and some crocus bulbs have heaved out and are on top (I just dig them back in) but it sounds like deer (if you have them) or squirrels or chipmunks have dug yours up. It's becomming increasingly difficult to prevent. I loose several things every winter. I guess it's part of living in the country, I'm sorry.

• tommyr_gw Zone 6
    16 years ago

Try planting some daffs and/or crown imperials in the fall. They are bad smelling to rodents/squirrels,etc.

Tom

• makalu_gw
    16 years ago

Wow, that stinks. It sure sounds like deer at this time of year ... unless you've got a sturdy fence and have it well staked to the ground, the deer will push under and chow on crocus and narcissus - they did to mine last year. This year so far, I've only had browsing on the boxwood, sage and the tops of some multiplier onions that I have outside the fence.

If they're in an easy to protect area, you might be able to build a chicken wire tent over them for now and if you have any tulips or hyacinth coming they're prime for the next feeding cycle. Both the deer and voles seem to be really active this year.

• bklyn2pok
    16 years ago

Sounds like deer or squirrels, I setup a deer perimeter early this year with garlic clips and bamboo stakes...so far damage has been minimal. The d#%@ squirrels will pull new plants right out the ground...right after I plant them. Last Fall I sprinkled coffee on all the areas I planted with new bulbs and that seems to have worked, I may have to do that with the new hosta patch I put down yesterday....last year the squirrels pulled up the newly planted eyes and left them piled on a stepping stone.

Does anyone know a really good squirrel deterrent?

• corapegia
    16 years ago

I keep having dog fantasies. Although I know I never would get one, I really, really want a Terrier of some sort to visit my house regularly. I wonder if anyone wants to go into the 'rent a dog' business. Drop off for a few hours, pick it up and take it away. It would have to be smaller and love to chase rabbits, squirrels, and woodchucks. I know I have a lot more problems with these creatures since Copper, our neighbor's terrier mix mutt died. Boy, I still miss him.

• bklyn2pok
    16 years ago

corapegia-If your woodchucks are as big as my local menace you're going to need a bigger dog. We call the woodchuck Thor...and he eats very well.

• nycynthias
    16 years ago

I have this problem too--it's the chipmunks, in my garden. I know this because I've seen the little buggers digging up the bulbs and chowing on them. Problem is, they're such cute little things I barely even mind that much. LOL We also have rabbits, voles, squirrels and skunk, all of which like bulbs too. Our deer (and we have legion) don't seem to care for any bulbs in my yard except tulips of course.
    Seriously, though, a "cage" over the area, made by bending chicken wire or galvanized wire fence into a box form can work wonders against the little critters.

• candyinpok
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I'm really aware of the chipmunk issue, I have holes in the front yard where they live. There was a hole under my Japanese Maple tree. I planted a bunch of bulbs all around the tree and one day came out to see some of the bulbs up on top of the ground. Of all those bulbs, only one came up and flowered. I have a few with greens on them but no flowers, but no where near as many as I planted. After I saw the bulbs on top of the dirt, I got some mole and vole repellent and filled up the hole. It never reappeared but I guess it was too late.

• giniene
    16 years ago

Liquid Fence works wonderfully! A few years ago, the deer chomped my impatients to the roots; I applied it & the flowers grew back & the deer never touched them again. It also works for the bunny rabbits so it would probably work for almost anything.

• candyinpok
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I have some liquid fence and have used it on the lilies, phlox and a couple of tulips that I'd like to have in spite of the deer. Deer have gotten really bad here of late. I guess I'll be spraying a lot more plants and a lot earlier in the year from now on.

• oldroser
    15 years ago

Deer do not eat narcissus nor are they interested in snow drops, glory of the snow, or hyacinths. Or Spanish bluebells.
    So I plant these in the woods and tulips, iris and all the rest inside the deer fence. Of course, that doesn't help with squirrels, chipmunks, rabbits....

• supernatural
    15 years ago

Chipmunks! They are losing their cuteness every darn day! Holes all through the front flower bed. My biggest hosta--gone in a morning! I've used black pepper and bloodmeal with moderate success. This year they are just horrible. I'm getting cats next year.

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting