Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
philomena_gw

Where to get Peonies ?

philomena
18 years ago

Hi,

I have no peonies in my garden, and I think I should :-) especially since I found out just recently that deer don't seem to like them too much - and they are also gorgeous plants. Does anyone know of any local nurseries that carry peonies ? I really don't recall seeing them much - I'm around the Beacon area.

Thanks!

Philomena

Comments (7)

• corapegia
    18 years ago

I've seen peonies almost everywhere. Look for bare rooted in boxes in all the stores that carry garden stuff....Lowes, Sam's Club, Adams, etc. Once the garden centers open they will also have them. Of course, these are the simple, everyday peonies. For the more exotic like yellow, you have to look further. Bye the way, deer WILL eat them but mostly in the more heavily infested areas.

• linnea2
    18 years ago

Check ebay too.
    Though Adams in Newburgh, just across the bridge from you
    usually get some fairly interesting ones. No deer or other
    animal has ever touched my peonies, though Corapegia is right,
    they're not supposed to eat quince either, but they "pruned" mine.

• philomena
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Thanks to you both for the info - I guess I have just never really looked for peonies before, as I am in Adam's very, very often - my eyes must have passed right over them ! I'll have to keep a sharper look out in the upcoming weeks - Adam's already has lots of flats and quart-size plants available (at least in Poughkeepsie), but not too much in the outside displays yet.

Philomena

• User
    18 years ago

Hmmm, yellow peonies sound like something I MUST have. Can you take a look next time you're at Adam's, Philmena and let me know if they have them?

• jayco
    18 years ago

You can buy then at most garden centers in the spring, but it's really better to plant them in the fall. They establish better when you plant in say, late September or early October. You can order them online--Gilbert Wild's in the cheapest.

• User
    18 years ago

Thanks for the information, jayco. I though Wild's was all daylilies, guess not.

• jayco
    18 years ago

Wild's has lots of peonies for low prices, people seem to have better experience with them than the daylilies. You can get them on sale for about $5-9 apiece, which is a lot cheaper than at the garden centers I see. No matter when you order, they'll ship to you in the fall, bare roots, they guarantee at least 3 eyes, but mine have always had more.

Sponsored