Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
nycynthias

May I have your opinion please? General plant Qs

nycynthias
15 years ago

Hi all! We're in the middle of a massive landscaping project and our contractor (who's doing all the hardscaping, pool, fencing, etc.) sent me a few computer renderings of the possible finished product. We are in Zone 6, Westchester County NY.

Since I will be doing all the planting and maintenance myself, I would like to do a sanity check before investing a huge amount of time and $$$ into the wrong plants! Figured I'd ask the experts here to avoid mistakes.

First up: this exposure faces south/southwest and gets plenty of sun.

{{gwi:14396}}

Here's what I'm thinking of using. *Suggestions welcome* and your experiences with these plants, good or bad, would be really helpful!

Tree: pink flowering dogwood (not Kousa because of the mess).

Light green shrubs: Little Princess Spirea

Darker green shrubs: Compact Inkberry

Daffs for the spring/possibly daylilies in that spot for summer?

In front of that, either catmint or salvia, since we have tons of deer and they'll leave them alone.

Groundcover: vinca minor. I'll need edging to keep it in bounds, yes? How far apart should I plant them in order to get nice full coverage quickly?

Comments (11)

• nycynthias
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Second area I'd like some help with--this exposure is basically due south and gets full sun, though the wall with the chimney is actually facing east and therefore gets shade in the afternoon.

{{gwi:14397}}

Again the tree would be a pink flowering dogwood.
    The blue things I awkwardly Photoshopped would be either Endless Summer hydrangeas or Nikko Blue hydrangeas. Opinions on these? Is one better than the other in our area?
    In front of the fence, he put in light pink flowering shrubs, but I'm leaning more toward a hedge of Double Knockout Roses. Since our house is red (but not as orange as the image makes it look) which color would work best here, the original red, or the pink?
    At the corner of the house would be a Butterfly Bush/Buddleia--Nanho Purple? I have had great luck with one on the other side of the house so am thinking of just transplanting that one there.
    To the far left of the image are more clumsily Photoshopped blue hydrangeas as this area is fairly shady after midday due to rooflines.
    I'd use catmint or salvia in front of the hedge and then vinca minor again.

Thoughts? If you hate the idea of the Dbl KO rose hedge, can you tell me why exactly and offer some alternatives? TIA!

• jayco
    15 years ago

Nice house and land! The photos look great, but keep in mind that many of the plants shown to be in flower won't be blooming all at the same time.

I am no landscape artist so I'm just going to comment on the fact that if you have lots of deer, they will love the hydrangeas and the roses and you'll have to spray them to keep them from being eaten.

I would post on the landscaping forum to get landscaping ideas, and ask folks here what grows well and what the deer will or won't like. Good luck with it!

• nycynthias
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks, jayco! I wasn't sure which forum to post this in so I just figured local would be good--I like the idea of posting it into the landscaping forum though and will do that.
    As far as the deer, I have been very lucky so far with keeping them out of my roses and the few hydrangeas I have. Four years down, and only nibbles on my roses the first year--since then, I think the strong scent of my dogs has helped, as well as the catmint I plant copiously under the roses. That stuff is like deer repellant, I swear!

• filippicus
    15 years ago

Hi,
    I was wondering what the light pink flowering shrubs are that your landscaper was planning. I like the idea of a rose-hedge, but
    if your planning to put in vinca, you might consider something
    to keep the ground cooler/shadier
    Mind, you have been indeed very lucky. We are also in Westchester and here the deer eat every rose, all hydrangeas and even
    some salvia's. I think Buddleia's are fine in any color. You can't go wrong with them. You could also consider a lilac. There are a some the deer don't eat.
    Good Luck. Your house is going to be adorable!

• jayco
    15 years ago

This forum seems not to get very much traffic, so that's another reason why the Landscaping forum might be useful.

I agree with you about the catmint deterring the deer -- I use it among my perennials and it definitely works. However, hydrangeas are a lot higher up and are notorious for being "deer candy," so be careful if you plant them. Sometimes things don't get eaten for a while simply because the deer haven't found them yet. You can be lulled into a false sense of security! And in my neck of the woods (Ulster County) they do eat lilacs as well, though it's not a favored food.

• nycynthias
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks, everyone! I did post this in the landscape design section as well, and as you guys expected that forum gets more traffic.

I'm actually rethinking the vinca for several reasons; when I think about it some more, I really wanted a low evergreen edging as opposed to a groundcover, per se. Is liriope evergreen in our zone? Is it deer candy? Any other suggestions for what I could use for that purpose?

About the deer, you're right that we have been lucky so far. Though they have eaten more than their weight in a lot of plants for some reason they have always basically left my hydrangeas and roses alone. I really have no idea why! Meanwhile they've nibbled or sometimes really chewed on hollies. I think my deer are a little funny. They do tend to try to avoid coming super close to the house, maybe because we back up to over 100 acres of arboretum and they're slightly shy? The dogs, as mentioned, have also helped, both by barking and by peeing outdoors.

• corapegia
    15 years ago

Liriope is not evergreen in my area. CIA restaurants at Hyde park used it on their new courtyard. Just had lunch there the other day and it's all kind of black. It will probably come back but it tends to start a little late in the season and looks not really great until it starts new grown. My personal experience has been mostly with the varigated type which the rabbits at my house love. It does fine at a friends house, but in both cases it also looks crappy until the new grown starts. Also hard to cut back before it starts new growth.

By the way, I don't believe catmint "deters" deer. They just don't usually eat it. Depending on the area, the deer will eat everything except Canada thistle and poison ivy.

• nycynthias
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks very much for the input, corapegia! That's good information about the lirope especially. I guess I'm still on the hunt for a good edging plant, preferably evergreen and fairly well-behaved. Hmm. I do notice you're in Z5 as opposed to my 6-6b but not sure that makes much of a difference with regard to liriope.

BTW I know that catmint isn't really a foolproof deer deterrent (as if there were such a thing!), but it really has kept them away from my roses and hydrangeas the past 4 years since I've lived here. I figure if my deer herds hate it, I'll plant more of it! Plus, I just like it :)

• jayco
    15 years ago

Catmint, when planted amongst other perennials, has the effect (for me, anyway) of deterring the deer. I've been told (don't know if it's true!) that deer can't see very well and that the strong odor of the catmint overpowers their smell and confuses them.

• nycynthias
    Original Author
    15 years ago

That makes a lot of sense; it sure is smelly (in a good way, to me)! They also avoid bee balm like the plague, probably for the same reason.

• corapegia
    15 years ago

You might have the wimpy deer in your area. In our gardens north of New Paltz and in Woodstock, the deer eat the monarda, too, and while the deer don't eat spirea, the rabbits do, and while the deer don't eat siberian iris, the voles do. Good luck!

Sponsored
Franklin County's Preferred Architectural Firm | Best of Houzz Winner