Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
susanzone5

mushroom dirt

susanzone5 (NY)
20 years ago

Does anyone know a good source for mushroom dirt in the Kingston area?

What have been your experiences with this stuff?

When the Stewarts on Rt. 28 and Zena Road was built, they used mushroom soil to mulch the landscape shrubs. The next year there were thousands of huge mushrooms under all their plants.

Has this happened in your garden? What's the pH of this soil? Thanks!

Comments (6)

• estevinho
    20 years ago

There's a place on route 28, a little west of there that sells bulk mushroom dirt. You've probably driven past it. It;s a big corner lot with gravel, mulches and the mushroom dirt. The mushroom dirt is good stuff. I don't know the pH. A wide range of vegetables have grown well in it for me.

• makalu_gw
    20 years ago

You might want to give Croswell Enterprises a call to see if they have it. They have a Kingston address though they're out a bit on Route 209, west of the thruway. I've not done a pH test on it but 5 bags from Lowe's didn't change the pH of my 4'x 8' raised bed at all (6.5+/-). I put 5 bags (about 40lbs per bag) into each of 2 raised beds last year and had no mushrooms grow but the veggies did well.

• susanzone5 (NY)
    Original Author
    19 years ago

I wanted to follow up on the mushroom dirt I bought from the guy on the corner of Route 28 and Zena Road in Kingston. My garden is very lush and the plants seem to love this stuff

It has no weed seeds which is such a pleasure. After I mulch, I can take a break from weeding. It's now time to pile more on. My veggies especially like this stuff...my romaine is actually looking as big as the ones in the stores...never did that before.

My only concern is that there is also some driveway gravel mixed in, from where he scooped the dirt up in his lot. There's some black mushy stuff also, that smells like petroleum. I'm hoping it is just decomposing matter! Really, from now on, this stuff goes in the flower beds and my real compost goes on the veggies.

• shaolin
    19 years ago

Has anyone heard that you shouldn't use mushroom dirt on roses? I heard this in passing once and I never followed up to see why or if it's even true.

• susanzone5 (NY)
    Original Author
    19 years ago

My roses are fine with the stuff. Why would it hurt?

• shaolin
    19 years ago

I can't imagine. I just remember somebody writing about it on the forums last year and saying that it's great for everything but roses. It stuck in my head but I never heard it again! I'm glad to hear that your roses like it!

Sponsored
Central Ohio's Source for Reliable, Top-Quality Roofing Solutions