Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
blackcat333

Picket Fence sources

33Cat
20 years ago

I'm looking for old fashioned wooden picket fencing. I'd prefer it to be in the Orange County area, but the only place I've seen it so far is at Lowe's for about $20 a section. It's ok, but not exactly what I was hoping for. I'd rather just buy it than make it myself because I already have a ton to do around the house this spring (a TON!).

Comments (8)

• 33Cat
    Original Author
    20 years ago

Guess I'll google it!

• TeriA_NY
    20 years ago

Sorry it took me so long to respond, but I kept forgetting to ask my husband.

He said to go to a locally owned lumberyard. Neversink Lumber in Port Jervis, Deerpark Lumber which is just outside of Port Jervis on Route 6, Rowley Lumber in Middletown, or Hampton Lumber in New Hampton.

Good Luck.

• hosta_miser
    20 years ago

Whatever you do, do not use Dabroski Bros. in Newburgh. I am still waiting for them to finish my fence started last July! I was very understanding with the wet weather and all, but geez! My next door neighbor has had trouble with them too. Very bad workmanship. We hired them together to get a better price, and what a mistake that was!

Joel

• 33Cat
    Original Author
    20 years ago

Thanks for the ideas. I never thought to try a lumber yard.

• JustJoeyGirl
    19 years ago

So, how'd you make out? Did you find what you were looking for ?

• 33Cat
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Drove by New Hampton Lumber, but didn't see any fencing. Maybe inside.

The project's been put on hold for a bit, but when we are able to finish it we'll probably hit all the spots and check out what's available.

• shaolin
    19 years ago

There's also Williams Fencing in Ulster Park. We went out there just the other week to see what they offered and at what prices. They had a lot of variety and some very nice stuff - but they are heads and shoulders more expensive than the chain stores. The poor guy who was trying to sell to us was desperate - he said he just can't compete with the prices at Lowes and Home Depot, but that his quality was so much higher. Which I agree with - their fencing was beautiful, and there was a lot of variety.

• TeriA_NY
    19 years ago

When you are ready again to do the fence, you should definitely stop by New Hampton and go inside and talk to them. My husband goes there quite a bit. He says that they are always extremely helpful and that their prices are good. If they do not have what you want, they may possibly be able to get it. I don't know if there prices will be what Home Depot/Lowe's prices are, but it is worth a shot.