Return to the Hudson Valley Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What's coming up? What's coming back? What's probably not?

Posted by ffreidl 6 (My Page) on
Wed, Mar 10, 10 at 21:41

I've got Daffodils with buds forming, crocus leaves but no flowers yet - maybe they're not going to bloom for me this year - daylilies coming up, some Tulip leaves but they look kind of loose - again, I'm thinking that they might not flower (when do you know about Tulips?). Last fall's foxglove leaves seem to be greening up, so I think they'll be fine.

I'm desperately searching for signs of life in three lilies I planted last year, as well as some echinacea plants. So far, nothing. When do yours start showing up, anyone?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What's coming up? What's coming back? What's probably not?

I'm still buried in snow. I usually start to see green at the end of march.
Last fall, a friend of a friend gave me a 5 gallon pail full of Mr.E bulbs. I can't wait to see what I got.lol. I hope they pretty.
About your tulips, hows the soil? It might be too compact. Try adding compost or maybe they're too deep.
good luck.
:)Laura

o

Poor you! The snow's been gone from my yard for at least a week. I think my tulips are probably played out. They're not from this past fall, they're from the year before, so I guess they're just done. Pretty expensive habit!

o

ffreidl,
some tulips last for decades. My sister orders from ??(somewhere in europe)?? I can't remember, but they are very expensive and spread great. she gave me some. These are not the kind you can get from walmart or michigan bulb co. Those are great for a year or two and die out.
I'll find out the name and post it.
snow should be gone soon! 3 days of rain will get rid of it. I hope.

:)Laura

o

The only colorful bulbs are crocuses and a few Siberian squill, no open flowers yet, but you can see the colors in the closed blossoms. The daffodils don't seem to have even emerged yet. There's a pansy or two in bloom.

Lots of other stuff going on corn salad has come back; sorrel, thyme, and sage have leafed out. Brambles have leaf buds, some (blackberries) starting to break. Celeriac and just a couple of kale and chard plants seem to have made it through the winter.

o

Crocus, daffs, primula, squill and hellebores are blooming. All other bulb foliage - tulips, alliums, bluebells, fritillaria, colchicum, lycoris are growing like crazy!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hudson Valley Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here