Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
linnea2

peepers!

linnea2
20 years ago

Tonight! MY first, certain first, no maybe.

How about you?

Comments (11)

• 33Cat
    20 years ago

My mother told me she heard some last night! A good sign for sure!

• valleyrider
    20 years ago

there is a large pond in the woods behind my house.Every night when I get home from work I have been listening for them cause they are for sure the sounds of spring. I have not herd them yet. This weekend is suppose to get warm. Maybe that will bring them out.

• cindy_5ny
    20 years ago

Peepers here! Just heard them for the first time tonight!
    Cindy

• estevinho
    20 years ago

By Saturday, they had made their way to Northwestern Dutchess County. I can hear them as I type.

• LynneNY
    19 years ago

Peepers here in Rockland tonight! Yea for spring!

• klavier
    19 years ago

Peepers here today! They sing beautifully! It is a very comforting sound and very relaxing. Yea spring!

• RheaT
    19 years ago

We have a little frog hollow on our property. It's probably no more than six feet in diameter and is very shallow but it supplies lots of frogs which partially explains why we have so many garter snakes.

Haven't heard any peepers yet but I did see garter snakes mating on Friday. That's another sure sign of spring.

• jim_w_ny
    19 years ago

Uusally April 1st in this part of the world, but a week late this year. My wife was so worried they were gone, water newly polluted, etc. When we first moved here there was a huge beaver pond. Mostly gone as the beavers moved away having chopped down all the close trees. Must have been desperate as they were working on a tree with a trunk at least 3' in diameter. Had it about half done then quit. County finished it as it could have fallen on the power line.

They such a pleasant sound. And I've looked and looked for one as I heard it peeping and never have seen one.

• 33Cat
    19 years ago

Heard the peepers AND saw the snakes. It seems Sneaky Snake now has a family! It's bad enough when one snake surprises you when you're down low weeding the garden, but now I have to watch out for the babies, too!

• Dutchessnewbie
    19 years ago

I had to write - we are moving from Chester County PA and I was back in PA for a few days to pack, etc. Some man here wrote to the local town officials for the second year in a row to complain about the volume of the peepers. He was asking for a town ordinance regarding noise - can you imagine? What in the world did he move out to the country for? I included the write up from the Daily Local Newspaper:

For the second year in a row, neighbors have complained to the township managerÂs office that they are annoyed by or suspicious of the spring peepers mating calls, and they want something done about it.
    Last year about this time, Laslo recalled, she got a call from another resident who heard the noise and said he was convinced there was criminal activity going on. When he was told that it was the sound of spring peepers calling for mates, the man told her the sound was too mechanical to be something from nature. The call prompted an overnight police stake-out, she said.
    Laslo, in a phone interview last week, said she wondered how one deals with a team of frogs who violate the noise ordinance. Arrest them?
    "WeÂre going to march those little buggers down to the district court," she said. "Maybe we could concrete over their pond."
    As she reflected on the calls in a more serious vein, Laslo said she is amazed at people who move to the country and donÂt realize they are going to hear natural sounds at night.
    "It shows an abysmal lack of knowledge of country life," she said.

Can you believe it? I am hoping the Dutchess County folks have more good sense that people here! :)

• 33Cat
    19 years ago

That's very funny! Maybe they could start ticketing those pesky frogs and create a new source of revenue for the state.

I don't think people around here are any better. I was driving with someone who said,"Look at that big dog!' It was a deer crossing the road.

Sigh!

Sponsored