Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
southern_gal_gw

new to Hudson Valley - stores?

southern_gal
18 years ago

i moved to Irvington last september - and have a backyard that is totally bare . will be doing a lot of hardscaping/landscaping but want to get some perennials and roses in this year.

would you please reply with your suggestions of local GOOD nurseries and stores?

thanks!

Comments (9)

• susanzone5 (NY)
    18 years ago

Where's Irvington? For now, find someone near you with a big garden and ask them where the good stores are.

Someone will reply here soon enough. Enjoy your new climate!

• sweetclg
    17 years ago

Hey, Southern gal! I'm your next door neighbor here in Ardsley. My favorite local nursery is Rosedale, which is just a few miles up the Saw Mill River Parkway in Hawthorne. They have a great selection and beautiful, healthy plants, although they're a bit pricey. I'll also stop in to Cherry Tree(?) Farms on Dobb's Ferry Road in Greenburgh, which is small, but good. When I'm looking for bargains I go to Sprainbrook- on the Ardsley/Scarsdale line. Their plants are not always in the best condition, but they have good sales and I've had good luck nursing plants back to health.

If I have one piece of advice for gardening here in the rivertowns, I would tell you to watch out for the deer and other critters. I've seen herds of them standing right on Broadway in Irvington. Choosing deer resistant plants whenever possible and taking other protective measures (fencing, repellent sprays) will save you a lot of heartache. Good luck, and welcome!

Jessica

• WestchesterGrower
    17 years ago

Croton Country gardens is smaller than Rosedale, but a great place as well with exceptional service. I'd call them up if you are ever looking before you stop by though. Best of luck

• southern_gal
    Original Author
    17 years ago

thanks for the replies. however, my landlord has now decided that i cant do any gardening - totally opposite to what he told me when i looked at the apt, talked on the phone and signed the lease.

so i will only be doing pots and planters and containers .
    i am truly bummed and upset. this is less space than i had in the brownstone front garden i created in park slope (80 sq ft)

and he is being a total ass hole - totally horrible.

to say i am upset is an undersstatement as i only took the apt for the backyard . ugh.

• susanzone5 (NY)
    17 years ago

Show your landlord some pics of beautiful gardens in similar places. He is probably afraid of a mess and liability. If you address those issues, he may change his mind.

When dealing with people who you are trying to persuade, start by complimenting him and his house and acknowledging his concerns (understanding his motives for not wanting you to garden.) He will be more apt to listen to you.

Good luck.
    If he's not a gardener, and all else fails, you could sneak in some small beauties here and there.

• robbiezone5
    17 years ago

i agree with susanzone5. don't come across as being a confrontational "problem tenant". let him know that part of the reason why you picked the place was that you wanted an opportunity to garden. maybe he is worried that you'll build a garden, then pull up all the plants and leave the yard a mess if you leave. but, in the end, i s'pose you'll have to find out what his concerns are -- why the change? i agree with the compliments, and such --- try to get him on your side.

that's really lousy --- that you were lead to believe that you could garden, and now you cannot. i know of plenty of people who have moved away from the city, and enjoy gardening in their new (rented) homes, with the blessings of the landlord --- so i don't think your request is so outrageous. if all else fails --- how long is your lease? would you consider a move?

good luck!
    --robbie--

• southern_gal
    Original Author
    17 years ago

good news. we worked out our problems and i am in the midst of creating the garden... photos of the work in progress at my website... http://sogalitno.typepad.com/southern_gal_gardens/

• sweetclg
    17 years ago

Glad you were able to work things out. Looks like you've created a delightful oasis. I'm impressed at how quickly you've put things together. Thanks for sharing your pictures, and please keep us updated as your garden blooms.

Jessica

• 33Cat
    17 years ago

Goodness, you are getting it done, aren't you? When you get finished, you can come play on one of my acres! LOL

Looks good, and I'm glad the landlord saw reason.

Coincidentally, I was just looking at Alafair's website yesterday, and I'll probably pick up one of her books soon. Can never get too much of the Burke family!

Sponsored
Fineline Deck Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars11 Reviews
Women Owned Construction Company Specializing in High Quality Decks