Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jayco_gw

Picking rhubarb today!

jayco
14 years ago

I can't believe it's ready, but it is. Pie, cobbler, or crisp? I can't decide! Anyone else got some ready for harvest?

Comments (12)

• supernatural
    14 years ago

Mine is looking awesome, but I don't want to pick it just yet. I'd like it to get a little bit taller and fuller.

If anyone out there has too much let me know and I'll pick it up! I love rhubarb!

• lmw845
    14 years ago

I am so jealous! We always had rhubarb in my mother's garden growing up. She moved in December and I forgot to rescue some. What's your favorite way to eat it?

• jayco
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Our two plants are super-vigorous, and we always seem to get rhubarb before anyone else. Got the plants from a local farmer -- they're a green variety that he said was very old -- I believe it, this stuff will survive anything.

I love rhubarb pie, either plain or combined with other fruits, or a rhubarb custard pie. Also crisp, cobbler, cake, bread, and tart. I sometimes make a drink from it to mix either with soda or alcohol (it's good with rum or vodka, or even some white wine) depending on the occasion.
    It's also good in savory dishes, like as a sauce for duck or pork.

You should see if any of your neighbors have some they'd give you a division of. Most people who have it have plenty to share!

• tomtuxman
    14 years ago

A very good friend of mine who has highly prolific rhubarbs in Ulster County gave me some divisons a few years back. I didn't really put them in an optimum location, so last fall I divided and moved them to better real estate (more sun, less moist). This Spring they have really shown progress and earlier better growth than ever before.
    Question: There is a school of thought that rhubarbs like early harvest and that plants will be more productive in the long run if manhandled somewhat. I am inclined to give them a year or two to just grow and acclimatize to their new location. What say you?

• jayco
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I'm in Ulster, too -- guess it's the place for rhubarb!

Yes, sun is essential. Mine gets sun all day and sucks it up.

As for early harvesting, I don't really know. I have read one is supposed to let the plants settle in before picking, but ours was so big we did pick some when it was only a year old. It's been unstoppable. I would *guess* it would be okay to harvest some, but I don't have any idea if it's actually helpful. When you do harvest, try to pull it off cleanly from the root if possible.

Made rhubarb-custard pie. Mmmmm.

• tomtuxman
    14 years ago

Although I am in Putnam, I propose that Ulsterites move to make rhubarb the official Spring plant of Ulster County! My pal's rhubarbs are already ginormous!

• jayco
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Yeah, and our 86 gazillion deer don't like it either... it's a shoo-in!

• auntyara
    14 years ago

I bought some rubarb roots from Lowes. they were so dried out I thought they were dead. but I potted them up and they are sending up red shoots. My daughter likes to make rubarb cake and I like to eat it.
    :)Laura

• nygardener
    13 years ago

Another Ulsterite (Woodstock) Â mine's come back in great form. GF's in Delaware County is huge and has taken over a big bed.

Now, if only there were a way to synchronize rhubarb with strawberry season. Strawberry-rhubarb pie has been my favorite since before I knew that rhubarb wasn't a fruit!

• jayco
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Usually our rhubarb lasts until strawberry season, though admittedly it's not as good as in April and May. Another alternative is to freeze either component, I've had good luck with that. By the way, rhubarb also combines very well with many other fruits in pie. Our favorite is rhubarb-sour cherry.

• nygardener
    13 years ago

Good idea to freeze it! I bought a storage freezer last year, still stocked with tomato sauce, but haven't yet used it to freeze "fruit." Or whatever rhubarb is.

Meanwhile, my strawberries are in blossom!

• Chrissy Chris
    13 years ago

I've never had rhubarb... I'm in orange county - does anyone have any to share??!

Sponsored