Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
robbiezone5

Suggestions on growing tuberose?

robbiezone5
17 years ago

when ordering plants from catalogs this past winter, i was seduced by descriptions of tubersose. i don't think that it is a plant that i have ever encountered in person, but i like fragrant plants and think that i ordered it based upon descriptions of the fragrance.

well --- my tuberose bulbs have arrived, and now i'm not sure of what to do with them? should i plant them now, or hold off? i've read that a lot of people grow them in pots --- but i'm a little worried about doing this because i garden in upstate new york (taghkanic in columbia county), but live in brooklyn. i'm always afraid that if i plant in pots they will dry out during the week?

can i start them in pots (in brooklyn), then transplant to the ground upstate? if so, does anyone have any suggestions on the best time to do this?

my idea was to create a white/moon garden just outside the windows of our living room upstate, so the fragrance could drift into the house when the windows are open. i was thinking of planting the tuberose in this garden.

oh --- the type i have is: Polianthes tuberosa Single Mexican (15 bulbs from park seed).

thank you so much!

--robbie--

Comments (14)

• philomena
    17 years ago

I haven't seen this plant either, but from what I read, it would be fine in a pot or in the ground. Since it would be an annual in our area here (I saw descriptions stating both zones 9 - 10 and also zones 7-10) I would wait until there is no chance of frost before planting it outside. I think you could possibly start the bulbs in a pot now, to get earlier blooms, or just wait until May, much as you would for annual gladiolus. You would have to lift the bulbs or bring the pots inside each year - and the description of the fragrance does sound heavenly ! :-)

• robbiezone5
    Original Author
    17 years ago

thanks philomena... i figured i'd have to dig up the bulbs in the autumn. i've never grown gladiolus, either, but this will be my first year in trying out warmer zone bulbs to be lifted in the autumn. i've had luck, in the past, with tulips, alliums, daffodils --- i just wanted to take it to the next level, i guess. :-)

maybe i'll start them in pots in our apartment, then move them up to the house to be transplanted in may. i've got spring fever, and i'm always itching to do things for the garden!

i also have gladiolus bulbs, which i was going to plant this weekend... you think i should hold off on them? i should look more into growing them.

i hope it works, but i'm just having fun trying out new gardening techniques.

thanks for the advice!
    --robbie--

• corapegia
    17 years ago

I would put them in the same class as tomatoes, peppers, etc, ie not frost hardy. I've heard the first planting date for tenders is May 15 but the old timers around use Memorial Day for planting them

Another fragrant plant is nicotiana, though not all have a smell. Sensation is an old strain, but they do need some sun, the fragrance comes up when the day cools down. Quite wonderful.

• robbiezone5
    Original Author
    17 years ago

thanks corapegia... i planted a variety of white, very fragrant, nicotiana last year. i purchased them at a community event in kinderhook, i think? i noticed their fragrance in the evening --- that was what got me thinking about creating a white/moon garden to be placed by our opened windows. i tried wintersowing some nicotiana on the roof of our brooklyn apartment, i'm not sure that they turned out so well, though... i've got a few that are sprouting, but they are really tiny compared to some of the other wintersown seeds. this was my first time winter sowing, so i may have goofed somewhere along the way.

i definitely agree with you on nicotiana. and thanks for the tip on when to plant these tender bulbs.

keep well!
    --robbie--

• philomena
    17 years ago

for night-time fragrance, you can't beat lilies :-) I soooo look forward to mid-late july when the blooms start opening - heaven !!

• robbiezone5
    Original Author
    16 years ago

lillies! yes --- thanks for reminding me... i have to research which to bulbs i'll want to order!

thanks!
    --robbie--

• tomtuxman
    16 years ago

I've never grown them myself, but a friend in Ulster County used to dig them up in the fall and store them in her garage in woodshavings or sand until the bulbs started to sprout again the next year. My recollection was that they were not at all hardy in our neck of the woods. If I were you, I'd go with the potted-in-B'klyn strategy, and keep them potted (that way you can move them around easier, too)

• susanzone5 (NY)
    16 years ago

I grow these tuberoses every year just for the gardenia smell. One stem has tons of florets which open a few at a time for a week or two. I pick the individual florets and keep them next to me where I sit indoors. What heavenly fragrance fills the room!

Definitely pots in a hot area. They love sun and heat. Won't grow till it's hot out. I start them indoors each spring to get a head start. Bloom is very late August and September. Occasionally I have to deal with frost (bring indoors each night) so I can keep the blooms coming.

Last year I decided to do an experiment and left them in the pot (dried out) over winter. Unfortunately they put up leaves too early, which didn't acclimate properly (I know how to harden off). They've been limp and ugly all season, but with some new leaves.

I hope I get some flowers, but will definitely dig and save from now on. They're cheap enough to reorder each year. Out of 5 bulbs in a package, I get usually 3 flower stalks, which is enough to keep my senses happy!

• tbenton
    16 years ago

I have had my tuberose for years and they only bloomed once and not all the bulbs even bloomed. I repotted them two years ago into larger pot and a bit more shallowly planted but not one bloom since. All I get is tall green foliage. I have many in one pot..is that the problem? I keep them outside in a very hot sunny location and keep them well watered and winter them in sunporch but I leave them alone in the winter except to cut off the dead foliage.

I have a very green thumb and this is driving me batty.

Terri

• susanzone5 (NY)
    16 years ago

Well, my experiment (see my post above) was awful. I got no flowers at all by keeping the tubers in the pot indoors over winter. I think they need to be lifted and kept in a bag over winter, then replanted in a pot in Spring.

However, the only way I've ever gotten flowers is to start each year with new tubers I get from Park Seed, planted in spring. And usually only 3 out of 5 produce flowers. It's a $10 expense that is so worth the scent!

• versatilegardener
    16 years ago

I planted my tuberose bulbs in pots 2 years ago. Now I have so many that I got about 32 bulbs from just one pot! I hope they come back. I separated them and repotted many. I had the same thing happen last year - just tall green leaves and no flowers. I decided they were too crowded. I've never seen a bulb multiply like this! They smell so heavenly.

• adaorand
    16 years ago

Other fragrant night-blooming plants are the white Angel Trumpet datura and Moon Flower ipomea. Moon Flower seeds are found with the regular Morning Glory seeds in the garden shop. I saw Angel Trumpet seeds in Hewitt's here in Albany.

AdaO

• hlily
    16 years ago

This is interesting. Two years ago I got tuberose from Park seed in the Spring and planted them in pots. They grew vigorously and had a lot of blooms in the fall. I brought the pots indoors and put them in my basement. Last spring I separated the bulbs and planted them in another pot. I got luscious green foliage but no blooms. I sort of forgot about them till after the first frost so I left them outside and now they are all gone. I ordered some more from park seed and they just arrived. I wonder if these will bloom only once.
    I am originally from South India. We had these growing up. They bloom from time to time year round in the tropical climate there.

• linmat
    15 years ago

I have had a tuberose plant for about 5 years now. I grow them in a pot and in the fall, after the greenery dies off, I cut it back, put it in the garage and only water once or twice during the winter. I put it out in spring (I live in NC) and as soon as I see shoots coming up, I fertilize it. You need to split the bulbs up every couple of years as a pot bound plant will not flower much. I had one spike last year, but hadn't separated the bulbs in three years and when I started separating them I must have 300 bulbs. I've made up several new pots and will give my friends some bulbs to start their own plants. I love this plant and look forward to the flowers every year. It needs, sun, water and fertilizer.

Sponsored