Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
justjoeygirl

When does Oriental Poppy foliage start to emerge here?

JustJoeyGirl
18 years ago

I was wondering if anyone here in the Hudson Valley (New Windsor) could tell me when to start looking for the emerging foliage of the Oriental Poppies? I have not had any success with this plant over the years. Last year I put in four more plantings, all in different locations in my gardens, hoping I'd discover where they might take. I have not had good luck getting these established. I always use full sun, except once I tried morning sun, late afternoon shade. I have tried dry, moist, and inbetween. I have a lot of my perennials up a good foot or two now and I still don't see any signs of the Oriental Poppies. Can anyone advise me if they should be up by now, or is it one that emerges later in the season? Thanks for any help, JoAnn.

Comments (11)

• tomtuxman
    18 years ago

I'm the other side of the River from you in Cold Spring and my oriental poppies are up and at 'em already, about a foot of foliage, so yours might very well be goners. Mine have no flower buds yet, but typically they bloom right around the first week of June.

Poppies are a bit touchy to transplant, I'm told. They survive best if transplanted when dormant. The other problem might be a black walnut nearby? Just guessing...

• 33Cat
    18 years ago

Mine are up as well, although I just discovered a new one this year. Two years ago I transplanted one on either side of an old well head. One side came back, but the other side didn't, until this year. No blooms yet, but I'm keeping my fingers crossed. I love these poppies so much I dug up my sister in law's, too, and stuck them in my yard.

Keep hoping, they may surprise you!

• JustJoeyGirl
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Thanks, lots of hope here, ha ha ha.....no black walnuts...but that was a good suggestion I hadn't thought of. Enjoy yours!

• dadgardens
    18 years ago

JJG,

I'm in Rockland, my poppies are up (3-5") but they are in a well protected bed (hedges surround the area, the plants get almost full sun (about 80% of the day).

• JustJoeyGirl
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Well, I may try just one more time this year...I'll try to find the most protected site in my gardens. I have no idea why I have such awful luck with these poppies...They do grow locally here...just not in my yard. I have hundreds of other perennials that do great...do you think fall or spring planting is the best for these?..I've tried both, but if they are not in the right spot, then it didn't matter. I had the same problem with a star magnolia issue...I planted three different times, but gave up on having one in my yard......that got costly for losing them. Thanks for any help....JoAnn

• jim_w_ny
    18 years ago

A man who used to work on this former farm told the previous owner that the poppies growing around our old stone well have been there for 100 years! So I'm a poor one to give advice as they just come up every year in great profusion with no care whatever. And as others have said the growth is over a half a foot high now.

The location is full sun except on the shady side of the well where they grow slightly less vigorously. The soil around the well looks to be ordinary typical local clay, heavy stuff. Two roses I planted there didn't do well. Possibly root competition but the poppies don't do much after blooming so I don't see that would be a reason.

I would be happy to send you a cutting or maybe a dug plant? I'm not sure what the best way is to propagate them.

You're in the Hudson Valley so can't be far. I'm in Columbia County near Chatham.

• oldroser
    18 years ago

They go dormant in August - mark the spot and transplant them then. You can get them potted with foliage now - but don't get those boxed plants because they are already dead. Try a local nursery instead.

• JustJoeyGirl
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Thank you all for your kind responses, and for your offer of a cutting or plant, that was so nice. Chatham, is that by Albany? I'm in Orange County,not far from Stewart Airport. I am not sure what I am doing wrong, but I will try again. Speaking to my neighbor, she has the same problem, although she planted hers in moist shade.... I tried full sun, ordinary soil. I am sure once I get them to take, they will be fine. The only one that ever came back was one I planted in the fall that came from White Flower Farm, but it sent up foiliage no flowers the first season...and that was the last I saw of it.. Oldroser, would you suggest the potted types, like they sell at the nurseries in the quart size, at this time of year? I just don't know what I am doing wrong. Even when I buy them in the pot in bud, the stem shrivels and then the plant starts to yellow and go dormant ( or die ). I figured it lost it's bud to not liking to be transplanted. I was hopefull last year. I am not giving up just yet.

• User
    18 years ago

JoAnn, I have Earl of Livermore poppies (vivid red/orange)that are like Godzilla. No matter how many times I think I've given them all away, they keep coming back.

I'm on the Maybrook side of Stewart Airport. I'll dig some up for you--they're very hardy.

• jim_w_ny
    18 years ago

Chatham is Columbia County just South of Albany. I forget exactly when they bloom but it is before roses so should be in a couple of weeks, maybe three. They are spreading into the lawn as usual and will need to dig some out. So come and get them!

• JustJoeyGirl
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Hi, and thank you all for your generous offers. If I am out that way in the next few weeks, I may take you up on your offers. I really appreciate your support and kindness. Thank you...JoAnn

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting