Return to the Hudson Valley Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
How to Kill Zoysia Grass Invading My Lawn?

Posted by jay1951 none (My Page) on
Sun, Apr 13, 14 at 14:01

What started out 12 years ago to be a few small round patches on my front lawn has sprouted into huge white areas of zoysia grass overtaking my lawn. It seems that no one knows how to remedy the problem nor does anyone I call have the desire to tackle the job. How do I kill this stuff for good? I'd appreciate any advice. Thank you!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: How to Kill Zoysia Grass Invading My Lawn?

I feel your pain on Zoysia. I absolutely HATE this stuff. You really need to use a non-selective weed killer. Not to sound like an ad, but I stick with RoundUp. You want something that works very fast, because you WILL need multiple applications in order to feel confident you killed it.

Drench the whole area with RU. Do not cut the lawn at this point since RU is absorbed through the green leaves, so the more green available the better. Then, wait a few weeks and get up close and personal and again hit any green you see with RU. You may at this point want to trim it back a little shorter (maybe cut the top 1/3). This will allow you to see whether there is any green underneath. Wait another two to three weeks, then do it again.

I know this sounds excessive, but you are taking on the Ivan Drago of grasses. You will likely want to remove the dead Zoysia because it is would be impossible to seed through a lawn as thick a Zoysia.

Because this is a very time consuming process, I usually being the process in July. I chose July because: 1) the Zoysia will have FINALLY turned green by then and 2) October is the best time to plant grass seen in Maryland.

Still working on ridding my yard of this weed and perfecting my technique, but it seems to have worked so far.

This post was edited by Towsonite on Thu, May 1, 14 at 23:26

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hudson Valley Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here